Norton Ghost Restore Backup Error

Reaction score
I have faithfully been doing complete system backups using Norton Ghost 10.0 onto an external hard drive. A few days ago my computer went kerput. I booted using the Norton Recovery Disk, but could not get a list of the Recovery Point Backups on the external drive. I booted using the System Restoration Disks that came with the computer, which returned the computer to good working order. I then booted using the Norton Recovery Disk. This time I got a list of Recovery Point Backups. I selected the most recent one, and off it went. 10 minutes into the process, it returned the following message.

Error E7D1001E: Unable to read from file. Error 00000001: Incorrect Function.

The Norton Ghost manual referred me to the Symantec Technical Support line. They were not able to help me at the time I phoned, but said someone will call me back in a day or two. I am hoping to get my system restored sooner than that.

Any ideas?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
When you re-installed Norton did you "Live Update" it? ... if so, do not restart the PC when Norton asks you to, say no, and then do it after ... 'cos norton hasn't actually finished even if IT thinks it has.

You may need to un-install Norton, gawd help you, and reinstall but do not let Live Update restart your PC ... do it yourself when finished.

But first, try Running CHKDSK /F from the run command, XP will moan it cannot but would you like it to run on your next re-start ... say YES & restart the PC.

;)

Ask a Question