Norton Ghost - FDISK /MBR why...?


J

Jake

Hi,

I have used Norton Ghost v9 to backup my windows xp pro partition.

After I have done a restore, windows boots correctly up, but just after
login it reboots or just hangs.

However if I next boot up from a win98 install CD and type FDISK /MBR
everything is ok the next time I boot to winxp!!

Does it exist a simpler way to make restored ghost partitions to
correctly run winxp without the FDISK /MBR step?

Also which alternatives does it exist to RIS? RIS is too limited in
options for me. I want to restore complete images of winxp with all our
software and settings. Does it exist alternatives to RIS which let me
mirror complete partitions and restore via PXE or boot/run from CD or
memorystick?

Thanks a lot for comments and tips

Jake
 
Ad

Advertisements

F

FreeComputerConsultant.com

Jake said:
Hi,

I have used Norton Ghost v9 to backup my windows xp pro partition.

After I have done a restore, windows boots correctly up, but just after
login it reboots or just hangs.

However if I next boot up from a win98 install CD and type FDISK /MBR
everything is ok the next time I boot to winxp!!

Does it exist a simpler way to make restored ghost partitions to
correctly run winxp without the FDISK /MBR step?

Also which alternatives does it exist to RIS? RIS is too limited in
options for me. I want to restore complete images of winxp with all our
software and settings. Does it exist alternatives to RIS which let me
mirror complete partitions and restore via PXE or boot/run from CD or
memorystick?

Thanks a lot for comments and tips

Jake

I like, and use heavily, Acronis True Image.

http://www.freecomputerconsultant.com/acronis-true-image.html

I never have to run fdisk/mbr
 
Z

z1z1z1

Hi,

I have used Norton Ghost v9 to backup my windows xp pro partition.

After I have done a restore, windows boots correctly up, but just
after login it reboots or just hangs.

However if I next boot up from a win98 install CD and type FDISK /MBR
everything is ok the next time I boot to winxp!!

Does it exist a simpler way to make restored ghost partitions to
correctly run winxp without the FDISK /MBR step?

Also which alternatives does it exist to RIS? RIS is too limited in
options for me. I want to restore complete images of winxp with all
our software and settings. Does it exist alternatives to RIS which
let me mirror complete partitions and restore via PXE or boot/run from
CD or memorystick?

Thanks a lot for comments and tips

Jake

If you backup a PARTITION instead of a DISK, it only stores the data
from that partition, not the disk partition structure, etc. When you
restore as a partition and not as a disk, you must prepare the disk in
some other way (such as FDISK), sizing partitions and making the
appropriate partition bootable (active), etc. If you restore as a disk,
Ghost should set up the disk during this process - this removes all
existing partitions, so you can't do this and keep other data partitions
intact. The Ghost 9 that I have comes with a utility named GDISK that
can be used instead of FDISK.

Your problem of it booting but hanging after login sounds more like a
possible error in drive letter assignments or something of that sort
(possibly you are restoring to a partition in such a way that partitions
do not get assigned the same letters they had before?). If you have
moved some folders from the standard places (temp, my documents, etc.),
you could get this sort of symptom (hanging) if drive letters have
moved. I'm not sure why FDISK /MBR would fix this, though.
 
H

Haggis

did you try "fixboot" in command console ?


z1z1z1 said:
If you backup a PARTITION instead of a DISK, it only stores the data
from that partition, not the disk partition structure, etc. When you
restore as a partition and not as a disk, you must prepare the disk in
some other way (such as FDISK), sizing partitions and making the
appropriate partition bootable (active), etc. If you restore as a disk,
Ghost should set up the disk during this process - this removes all
existing partitions, so you can't do this and keep other data partitions
intact. The Ghost 9 that I have comes with a utility named GDISK that
can be used instead of FDISK.

Your problem of it booting but hanging after login sounds more like a
possible error in drive letter assignments or something of that sort
(possibly you are restoring to a partition in such a way that partitions
do not get assigned the same letters they had before?). If you have
moved some folders from the standard places (temp, my documents, etc.),
you could get this sort of symptom (hanging) if drive letters have
moved. I'm not sure why FDISK /MBR would fix this, though.
 
J

Jake

Haggis skrev:
did you try "fixboot" in command console ?

It takes *minutes* to get up the recovery console. Win 98 boots from a
CD in seconds, but I hoped to get rid of that too...

regards

Tor
 
J

Jake

FreeComputerConsultant.com said:
I like, and use heavily, Acronis True Image.

http://www.freecomputerconsultant.com/acronis-true-image.html

I never have to run fdisk/mbr

Does TrueImage have a possibility to read and copy a disk image from a
server?

Most of all I want to just quick boot a trashed os computer off a CD and
have a small applet on the CD copy a disk image from a server share over
the network to the local harddrive.

Is this possible and if yes with which software?

Thanks for comments and hints

Jake
 
Ad

Advertisements

F

FreeComputerConsultant.com

You can mount an image, which assigns a drive letter to the image, copy
files like any other drive.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top