Norton Ghost 2003 does not recognise images stored on a cd.??

Joe M

If I ghost a computer image to a hard drive as image.gho, and then put this
image.gho onto a CD. Norton ghost will not recognise it. It does not treat
reading a CDRom like it treats reading an image from a Hard disk. So it
would say the CD was not create using Ghost. How do I bypass this problem
and get ghost to treat a CD media image like it does to an image on a
Harddisk???
I don't want ghost to create an image and burn directly to a CD as it is
unreliable because the writer may not keep up, and too much slack space
generate using this method....
How do I get Ghost to recognise a CD and it does to a Hard disk???

Wolf Kirchmeir

Joe M wrote:
[...]?
I don't want ghost to create an image and burn directly to a CD as it is
unreliable because the writer may not keep up, and too much slack space
generate using this method....

If you're having trouble burning CDs reliably, then:

a) Set the writer to write at a lower speed
b) Use quality media, but price is not a good guide, unfortunately.
Verbatim have an excellent reputation.

I don't know about Ghost, don't use any Norton product.

Bob Harris

There are are at least two ways to copy a file to a CD, and GHOST may have a preference: (1) drag&drop, also called DirectCD, InCD, or DLA, (2) make a "data CD". The first methods is easy, but less universal, since there are multiple drag&drop formats. The second method can be fairly universal, but only if the CD is "closed" or "finalized". If the CD is left "open", meaning that additional data can be written on it, some CD readers will not recognize it.

The GHOST manusla is a bit vague about the requirements, but suggests that you look to the Symnatec support website for further info (I quote):

"To write an image to CD using third-party software
1 Create the Ghost image file and save it to a temporary location.

2 Collect and edit the other required files.

3 Use third-party software to save the image file and other required files to the

CD-R/RW disk.

4 Make the CD bootable.

If you use software to write an image file directly to the CD, you may experience

problems when restoring the image file. Software designed to write directly to a

CD, such as Adaptec Direct CD, uses a different file format. Therefore the copied

files are not recognized by Ghost.

If you are writing directly to a CD using third-party software, use a program that

lays out the format of the disc before it writes it, such as Adaptec E-Z CD Creator.

Norton Ghost does not provide technical support for third-party software, but

details on this method can be found in the knowledge base on the Symantec

Support Web site. "

br549

I've burned images using Ghost 2003 to disk, cdr and cdrw and have never had
a problem either creating the image or restoring it.

"Joe M" <joematminemandotcom> wrote in message
If I ghost a computer image to a hard drive as image.gho, and then put this
image.gho onto a CD. Norton ghost will not recognise it. It does not treat
reading a CDRom like it treats reading an image from a Hard disk. So it
would say the CD was not create using Ghost. How do I bypass this problem
and get ghost to treat a CD media image like it does to an image on a
Harddisk???
I don't want ghost to create an image and burn directly to a CD as it is
unreliable because the writer may not keep up, and too much slack space
generate using this method....
How do I get Ghost to recognise a CD and it does to a Hard disk???

Real American

I don't want ghost to create an image and burn directly to a CD as it is
unreliable because the writer may not keep up, and too much slack space
generate using this method....

If you're having trouble burning CDs reliably, then:

a) Set the writer to write at a lower speed
b) Use quality media, but price is not a good guide, unfortunately.
Verbatim have an excellent reputation.

I don't know about Ghost, don't use any Norton product.
.

This here is the USA, mister, and in these parts a
collective noun takes a singular verb. Get with the
program and stop that silly British English nonsense.

I like toys and cake

Real American said:
This here is the USA, mister, and in these parts a
collective noun takes a singular verb. Get with the
program and stop that silly British English nonsense.

This here is the internet, buddy and not the USA. Do they teach
arrogance and self-righteousness in American schools or has it become
genetically coded into you?

Wislu Plethora