Norton Ghost 10 - step-by-step instuctions for backup to Ex HD

A

aRKay

I recall the excellent posting for Acronis True Image - step-by-step and
would appreciate the same kind of write up for Ghost 10. I want to
backup my wife's Dell D-600 to an external drive.

I have heard it better to boot from the CD to do the backup and not
really install Ghost 10 but I am not sure if that is correct.

J

John.

I recall the excellent posting for Acronis True Image - step-by-step and
would appreciate the same kind of write up for Ghost 10. I want to
backup my wife's Dell D-600 to an external drive.

I have heard it better to boot from the CD to do the backup and not
really install Ghost 10 but I am not sure if that is correct.

Try the Radified Ghost support forum. Also see the FAQ section and
guide.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

A

Anna

Brian A. said:

John. said:
Try the Radified Ghost support forum. Also see the FAQ section and guide.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

aRKay:
As Brian says, I assume facetiously, "Happy reading". For many, if not most, owners of Ghost 10 (as well as the Ghost 9 version), wading through that 157 or so page document in order to get just the basics of using Ghost 10 for disk cloning or disk imaging for straightforward backup/restore processes, is akin to cruel & inhuman punishment.

It's one of the reasons so many users have opted for more simple &
straightforward disk imaging programs such as the Acronis True Image program you refer to.

Hopefully one or more satisfied users of the Ghost 10 program will point you in the right direction for using the program, and if so, fine. But if not, you might want to consider the following...

Interestingly enough, Symantec's Norton Ghost 2003 program is included with the their 9 & 10 retail, boxed versions, ostensibly for compatibility with pre-XP operating systems. But it works just fine for basic disk-to-disk cloning in an XP environment. We've used that program for many years with XP systems, generally working with the Ghost bootable floppy disk (or bootable CD) to undertake the disk-cloning operation since (for a variety of reasons) we prefer using that media to the Ghost 2003 GUI.

Assuming you have the Ghost 2003 program and would like to give it a try I can provide you (and others who might be interested) with step-by-step instructions for cloning the contents of one's day-to-day working HDD to a USB or Firewire external HDD. It's a relatively simple process and should possess no difficulties.

BUT...

As I've indicated the Ghost 2003 disk cloning process we recommend involves using a Ghost bootable floppy disk or a Ghost bootable CD. The bootable floppy disk is easily & quickly created from the Ghost program that's installed on your system. There's no problem there. (I cover this in the step-by-step instructions). But in order to create the bootable CD, the bootable floppy disk is needed. Creating the bootable CD is a simple straightforward process using a CD-burning program such as the Roxio or Nero ones. But again - you need the Ghost 2003 bootable floppy disk in order to do so.

And that's the rub, of course, when you don't have a floppy disk drive to create the Ghost bootable floppy disk. But perhaps you have a desktop PC that contains a floppy disk drive or can access one.

There is a site that has instructions on "Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive" (see http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html#P1)
but we have no experience with the instructions detailed at this site.

The "Radified" site that John referred you to might be helpful so take a look at it.
Anna

Ask a Question