Norton Antivirus

Peter

I have Windows XP with Norton Antivirus 2004 protection.
Norton tell us to do a full system scan at least once a
week, but as I have Auto-protect already enabled I wonder
if the full system scan is still necessary. I thought
Auto-protect covered the system. Can anyone help please?
Peter

Carey Frisch [MVP]

A full system scan checks all boot records, master boot records,
and all files on your computer. It is important that you perform
a full system scan after initial product installation to ensure that
your system is free from viruses.

When you installed Norton AntiVirus and completed the
Information Wizard, you were given the option to schedule a
weekly full system scan as part of post-installation tasks. If you
made that choice, the scan is scheduled automatically for you.
After installation, you can always review and modify the scheduled
scans in the Norton AntiVirus Scan for Viruses pane or create new
scheduled scans.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Peter" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I have Windows XP with Norton Antivirus 2004 protection.
| Norton tell us to do a full system scan at least once a
| week, but as I have Auto-protect already enabled I wonder
| if the full system scan is still necessary. I thought
| Auto-protect covered the system. Can anyone help please?
| Peter

mullet

Well strange as it seems even with the weekly updates on
Wednesdays and Norton running all the time and Norton
flashing messages that it removed or blocked access on
such and such a file (virus), sometimes "something gets
through". I refused to believe it is "a new virus", but
it may very well be. I run the automatic weekly update,
run Norton all the time and still once a week I do a full
system scan which occasionally finds and removes
something.
I guess you can't be TOO safe,
good luck,
ed mallett

Roberts

Since Norton -- or whoever -- can only block a worm or remove a virus that's
already been reported I think it logically follows that Norton is **always**
behind the curve. Therefore as you update your virus software on a daily
basis you will be getting the latest that Norton has. That means that a
weekly system check might catch any bad stuff that slipped in "under the
wire."

Might. If today was perfect we wouldn't need tomorrow.