Windows XP Norton 2006 nightmare!

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help me? :confused:

Actually this is a problem with my Dad’s laptop. For a bit of background…we have two computers in the house. One is a PC and the other a laptop. We have broadband via a wireless router with a built in hardware firewall. (D-link)

Last week my Dad had to update his Norton Anti-Virus software.

He had Norton 2002 and when going through one of the automatic updates the computer’s battery went (it was supposed to have been plugged in but due to a mix up it wasn’t) and then error messages kept appearing.

My Dad uninstalled and re-installed Norton but it wasn’t updating properly, so he decided to renew his subscription and update to Norton 2006.

He bought the disks from Norton (you can’t get them in shops yet) and loaded it up. Basically it seemed to ruin the Internet connection. It went so slow it was unusable.

My Dad uninstalled and updated Windows (as Norton advised) then re-installed. Then it seemed worse than ever.

One of the Windows updates was Service Package 2, but I don’t know if that’s relevant.

Now the Internet connection is just not working.

My Dad removed Norton again but the Internet still won’t work.

My Dad has been on the phone to the techy people at the shop where the laptop came from and they can’t help.

It has to go in to be looked at on the 12th December but they don’t sound hopeful.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is and how to deal with it?

Could it be something to do with the hardware firewall interfering with the Norton software?

I’d really appreciate your help…

Thanks very much,

Ailsa XXXXXXXX:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When you say Windows XP was uninstalled, was the hard disk formatted prior to the new install?

I'd suggest booting from XP CD and when prompted during install, format the disk in NTFS.

Then install LAN drivers and see if you can connect online.

If all is back to normal, consider using AVG, Avast or Antvir, all free and all, in my opinion, superior to Nortons.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I wish you and your Dad luck.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I also found this, which may help ...
Removing Norton products

1. Uninstall the main program via a programs group link or via Add/Remove Programs. Restart the computer when prompted.

2. Check Add/Remove Programs again and uninstall the following in order. Skip any item not found and proceed to the next. Restart if advised.

Norton Security Center

Norton WMI Update

LiveReg (Symantec)

LiveUpdate (Symantec)

3. After removal of LiveUpdate, it should be "safe" to install new Norton programs or other antivirus utilities.
:thumb:

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks very much for the help...:thumb:

I'm sorry that my post suggested my Dad uninstalled Windows XP. What I meant (but said badly) was that he uninstalled Norton and then updated Windows.

The people at the computer shop recommended using the Windows XP CD but it just resulted in more error messages and refused to do anything!

Thanks for the link, Muckshifter, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the alternative anti-virus sfotware names floppybootstomp. I have Norton myself but I'm not going to renew it after the subscription runs out.

Many thanks to you both,

Ailsa XXXXXXXXX:cool:

Ask a Question