Noob question about fan control

Bob Fry

I'm trying to figure out the temperature controlled cpu fan.

I'm using Abit's EQ windows app (though it could just as well be
what's built into the BIOS or any other app). I can set:

Target Temp T deg C
Start Control X %
Stop Control Y %
Tolerance Z deg C

My understanding is that at T + Z CPU temp, the fan will rotate at X
percent of its maximum possible speed. As the CPU cools to T - Z
degrees, the fan then rotates at Y percent of its maximum possible
rpms.

Is that correct?

Phil Weldon

'Bob Fry' wrote:
| I'm trying to figure out the temperature controlled cpu fan.
|
| I'm using Abit's EQ windows app (though it could just as well be
| what's built into the BIOS or any other app). I can set:
|
| Target Temp T deg C
| Start Control X %
| Stop Control Y %
| Tolerance Z deg C
|
| My understanding is that at T + Z CPU temp, the fan will rotate at X
| percent of its maximum possible speed. As the CPU cools to T - Z
| degrees, the fan then rotates at Y percent of its maximum possible
| rpms.
|
| Is that correct?
_____

Don't you think all that precision is worthless? Any results will depend on
the particular fan, heatsink, ambient temperature ...
Try different settings and, if you can have the temperature and fan speeds
auto-logged. The application, as you describe it, seems to be making
something simple vastly complicated. It also promises what it can't
deliver.

Phil Weldon

| I'm trying to figure out the temperature controlled cpu fan.
|
| I'm using Abit's EQ windows app (though it could just as well be
| what's built into the BIOS or any other app). I can set:
|
| Target Temp T deg C
| Start Control X %
| Stop Control Y %
| Tolerance Z deg C
|
| My understanding is that at T + Z CPU temp, the fan will rotate at X
| percent of its maximum possible speed. As the CPU cools to T - Z
| degrees, the fan then rotates at Y percent of its maximum possible
| rpms.
|
| Is that correct?
| --
| I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
| Groucho Marx

geoff

Exactly, with my zalman, I did not install, nor do I have a desire to play
with fanmate. I let q-fan do the work.

-g

Bob Fry

PW> Don't you think all that precision is worthless?

Sure. But I have an interest in feedback control, so am interested in
this.

Paul

Bob said:
PW> Don't you think all that precision is worthless?

Sure. But I have an interest in feedback control, so am interested in
this.

Where I'd start...

Find the Super I/O chip on your motherboard. It includes the
hardware monitor and fan control. Download the datasheet for
the Super I/O. There is usually a cryptic description of the
registers and their effects, for the fan "cruise control". A
motherboard product can either choose to control fans manually,
in which case the algorithm is controlled in firmware/software,
or the built-in automatic algorithm is used. In which case the
cryptic description is all you have to go on.

Paul

Phil Weldon

'Bob Fry' wrote:
| Sure. But I have an interest in feedback control, so am interested in
| this.
_____

Precision without corresponding accuracy is worthless. In the application
you describe, consider hysteresis, motor startup-voltage, error in
converting pulses per second to rpm, error in ADC ...

Phil Weldon

| PW> Don't you think all that precision is worthless?
|
| Sure. But I have an interest in feedback control, so am interested in
| this.
| --
| If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in
| each person's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all
| hostility.
| - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rod Speed

Phil Weldon said:
Bob Fry wrote
Precision without corresponding accuracy is worthless.

Nope, what matters is whether it performs better or not,
particularly on basic stuff like the amount of noise it makes.

After all, if you dont care about the noise, you might
as well just run the fan at full speed all the time.
In the application you describe, consider hysteresis, motor startup-voltage,
error in converting pulses per second to rpm, error in ADC ...

You can still do better than nothing without getting all anal about precision.

Bob Fry

PW> 'Bob Fry' wrote: | Sure. But I have an interest in feedback
PW> control, so am interested in | this. _____

PW> Precision without corresponding accuracy is worthless. In the
PW> application you describe, consider hysteresis, motor
PW> startup-voltage, error in converting pulses per second to rpm,
PW> error in ADC ...

Yeah, yeah. In engineering. This is for grins.

Davy

I don't worry about the maths.... if the fan is suitable for the CPU
then there's nothing to worry about, especially if the CPU is being
used as recommended.

Fans are usually controlled by a thermistor which senses the change of
temperature thus altering the servo drive, some fans have a tacho
pulse that is used to monitor it's RPM.

The best fan in the world can become clogged with dust or develop a
fault and could cause problems, all CPU's vary in temperature
according to the task it's doing.

Think I'm right in saying many a mobo bios temperature indication is
only a guide and seldom accurate.

Davy

Phil Weldon

'Rod Speed' wrote, in part:
| Nope, what matters is whether it performs better or not,
| particularly on basic stuff like the amount of noise it makes.
_____

When you've been around long enough to actually contribute something to this
newsgroup, you probably would also come to be more civil.

Phil Weldon

| > Bob Fry wrote
|
| >> Sure. But I have an interest in feedback control, so am interested in
this.

| > Precision without corresponding accuracy is worthless.
|
| Nope, what matters is whether it performs better or not,
| particularly on basic stuff like the amount of noise it makes.
|
| After all, if you dont care about the noise, you might
| as well just run the fan at full speed all the time.
|
| > In the application you describe, consider hysteresis, motor
startup-voltage,
| > error in converting pulses per second to rpm, error in ADC ...
|
| You can still do better than nothing without getting all anal about
precision.

| >> Sure. But I have an interest in feedback control, so am interested in
this.

Rod Speed

Phil Weldon said:
Rod Speed wrote
When you've been around long enough to actually contribute something
to this newsgroup, you probably would also come to be more civil.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, ****wit.

AND I've been around newsgroups for a hell of a lot longer than you ever
have, and have contributed a hell of a lot more than you ever have as well.

hummingbird

I'm trying to figure out the temperature controlled cpu fan.

I'm using Abit's EQ windows app (though it could just as well be
what's built into the BIOS or any other app). I can set:

Target Temp T deg C
Start Control X %
Stop Control Y %
Tolerance Z deg C

My understanding is that at T + Z CPU temp, the fan will rotate at X
percent of its maximum possible speed. As the CPU cools to T - Z
degrees, the fan then rotates at Y percent of its maximum possible
rpms.

Is that correct?

I don't use the ABIT utility to manage my fan speeds.
I went over to 'SpeedFan' some time ago and it does the job well.
It's also free and highly recommended: http://www.almico.com

Bob Fry

hb> I don't use the ABIT utility to manage my fan speeds. I went
hb> over to 'SpeedFan' some time ago and it does the job well.

I have SpeedFan, but it doesn't have my mb (Abit NF-M2 nView), so it
only sorta works.

Phil Weldon

'Rod Speed', having nothing useful to contribute, runs true to long
established form:
| Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, ****wit.
|
| AND I've been around newsgroups for a hell of a lot longer than you ever
| have, and have contributed a hell of a lot more than you ever have as
well.
_____

Please post where your type of 'contribution' is welcome. It is definitely
not welcome in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking. And not welcome in
alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt and alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt either.

Phil Weldon

'Bob Fry' wrote:
| Yeah, yeah. In engineering. This is for grins.
| --
| "A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper
| tray and the blinking red light"

What would interesting is a fan controller that could start rotation at full
voltage and then reduce the supply voltage until the desired speed is
reached.

Or you could try an aquarium chiller (equipped with feedback control that
will maintain temperatures within a degree C or so.

Phil Weldon

| PW> 'Bob Fry' wrote: | Sure. But I have an interest in feedback
| PW> control, so am interested in | this. _____
|
| PW> Precision without corresponding accuracy is worthless. In the
| PW> application you describe, consider hysteresis, motor
| PW> startup-voltage, error in converting pulses per second to rpm,
| PW> error in ADC ...
|
| Yeah, yeah. In engineering. This is for grins.
| --
| "A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper
| tray and the blinking red light"

Rod Speed

Phil Weldon said:
Rod Speed wrote

Please post where your type of 'contribution' is welcome.

Go and **** yourself.
It is definitely not welcome in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.

You get no say what so ever on that or anything else at all, ever.
And not welcome in alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
and alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt either.

You get no say what so ever on that or anything else at all, ever.

And learn to quote too.

hummingbird

hb> I don't use the ABIT utility to manage my fan speeds. I went
hb> over to 'SpeedFan' some time ago and it does the job well.

I have SpeedFan, but it doesn't have my mb (Abit NF-M2 nView), so it
only sorta works.

Check this out on the SpeedFan website:

....it looks like some users have it working ok on NF-M2. I think it's
got less to do with the mobo model and more to do with the sensors
used.

Failing that have you thought about dropping an e-mail to the author?
e-mail <alfredo [at] almico.com>

He might be able to get it added in or he may suggest another
Abit mobo spec that works well.

I'm currently using an Abit IS7-E2 which is fully supported.

kony

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, ****wit.

AND I've been around newsgroups for a hell of a lot longer than you ever
have, and have contributed a hell of a lot more than you ever have as well.

LOL

That's a petty loose use of the word "contributed".