No Touch Deployment and Config Files

G

I've read that in order for WinForms applications to use .config files and no-touch deployment that IIS has to be configured to allow anonymous access. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows why. Every article I've read on this just adds that you need to change this setting and doesn't offer an explanation of why IIS doesn't serve .config files if you don't allow anonymous access. I want to use no-touch deployment for some applications on our local intranet but I don't want to allow anonymous access to these sites. Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mark

G

Hi Mark..
I dont have an answer why you need to set Anonymous access on IIS to download config files. But I can give you some alternative ways of implementing this functionality
1.Even if you set Anonymous, the config files get downloaded to Temporary Internet Files folder where as the rest of the assemblies get downloaded to Application Data folder. (This was the problem that we faced
2.We designed a web service, and this web service was made to return a datatable which will contain the configuration data.
3.On the client application call this web service first, get the datatable which contains the configuration data. if required serialize it, else maintain the datatable, in memory and use it in the application

Hope this helps...If you get any good solution for this...please let me know...mail me at (e-mail address removed)

Thanks
Ramjee Tangutu
Microsoft India Community Star

Ask a Question