Subject: No sounds
From: "S.Q" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 3/24/2004 1:04 PM Eastern Standard Time

Hi

I have Windows XP. I have a problem with my sounds...
it's not my speakers or as far as I know my sound card
because the only sounds that don't play are computer
sounds like e-mail, logon, alerts etc. I can play music
and movies and hear them perfectly fine.

Anyone ever hear of that ???
Yes...

But seriously! Kelly has a fix for this phenomenon on her site at
www.kellys-korner-xp/xp.htm . Look for "Where did my sounds go?"

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

wojo

Under Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices | Sounds tab
Are there sounds selected for the various events in the Program Events
Window?
Select an event and click the Play Button to see if the sound plays. If
there is no little Speaker Icon next to any of the events then select a
sound scheme form the drop down menu above.

--
If I can help you I will.
If you can help me thanks.

Useful Links
AdAware:
www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Spybot S & D:
www.safer-networking.org/
Check for Parasites/Worms:
www.gemal.dk/browserspy/parasites.html
Blaster Security Patch:
TweakUI and other PowerToys:
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Alex Nichol

S.Q said:
I have Windows XP. I have a problem with my sounds...
it's not my speakers or as far as I know my sound card
because the only sounds that don't play are computer
sounds like e-mail, logon, alerts etc. I can play music
and movies and hear them perfectly fine.

Aside from other suggestions, double click the Vol control icon to get
the mixer, and ensure that WAV sounds are not muted with their slider at
a reasonable level. The Control Panel - Sounds allows you to check each
sound by clicking the > icon next to the file being used