no pics using IE

darryl

When I use the internet explorer as my browser, I cannot
see any pictures. I get square boxes with red X's in them.
Right clicking on them will not allow them to be seen using
show picture option. I have erased and reinstalled IE using
both my CD and the download available at Microsoft's
website complete with all patches and updates. Neither
changes anything. The explorer is set to show pictures. I
can open stored JPEG files from my computer while using IE,
but I get nothing online. Using Netscape as my browser, I
have no problems. I prefer MS IE as my browser but can't
seem to fix the problem. I am using a DSL and the ISP techs
have exhausted their ability to resolve the problem. This
computer formerly used AOL with a normal phone line. It is
possible that AOL was updated to the new "9.0 optimized"
version after the DSL was installed and used with the DSL.
All versions of AOL have been removed from the computer. Is
it possible that the new version of AOL changed something
in my system, blocking the pics, or can this be caused by
something else? Many techs have told me that this can't
happen, but believe me it is.

Toney

It's your encoding settings. I'm having the same issue. if
you look in the "View" option on your browser.
then "Encoding" you'll see your settings is at "Western
(ISO)" when it's supposed to be set at "Western
(windows)". if you click on "Western (windows)" the page
will load right. The only problem is it won't stay set
on "Western (windows)" even when you set it on "Auto
Select" some pages it keeps going back to the "Western
(ISO)" setting.

Ed.

Sorry to dissapoint you but that isnt the answer either.
I have the same problem ofloading, and my encoding is
precisly as you suggest, and it doesnt change like yours,
but I still cant open the pictures.

Cathi

I had the same problem, along with many other people.
Seems like a 6.0 problem. Just go back to previous version
and all works fine. Maybe Microsoft will fix this soon.

DVarnau

Darryl,
Many possibilities...
Try the quick, easy fix first. Clear the IE cache from IE> Tools> Internet
Options> General> Delete files and Delete offline content. Reset the TIF
folder size to about 50MB (Settings button) and clear it occasionally.

Next...
283807 - Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807
Note: Repairing IE instead of reinstalling may work
194177 - Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;194177

221134 - Some Images, Contents, or Controls May Not Be Displayed When
Viewing a Web Page: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221134
- - - - -
Additional information from Mike Burgess:

Are you using a Firewall or "filtering software"?

Several of these are known to cause problems:
1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?]
Reset "Ad Blocking" and "Cookie Control" to "medium"
"Mobile Code Control" = Off

2) Symantec (ISS\NIS)[Enable Browser Privacy - enabled]
Active Content - "Allow All Script To Execute"
Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit encryption
Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.
[more info]
Web Pages Display a Red "X" Instead of a Graphic
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316545 [Norton Products]

3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referer"
or contains entries that are blocking access to the desired site.

4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
site.

5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

8) Make sure the following entry is not corrupt:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings]
"User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

Note: "Win32" = Windows 98\ME
Other versions = (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0;)

To check your "User Agent":
Paste the below into the Address Bar and view the output:

javascript:navigator.userAgent

[Example WinME output]
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90)
- - - - -
Other possibilities at http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ieimage.htm
and
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#jpg_gif

Hope this helps,
Don

DVarnau

Toney,
See my answer to Darryl.
Specifically, look at the encoding/registry solutions near the end of
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807 and near the end of Henri's page

--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org
Toney said:
It's your encoding settings. I'm having the same issue. if
you look in the "View" option on your browser.
then "Encoding" you'll see your settings is at "Western
(ISO)" when it's supposed to be set at "Western
(windows)". if you click on "Western (windows)" the page
will load right. The only problem is it won't stay set
on "Western (windows)" even when you set it on "Auto
Select" some pages it keeps going back to the "Western
(ISO)" setting.
[snip]