No logon icons

Bill H.

Suddenly, this win xp home computer boots to the "welcome" screen, but there
are no icons on which to click to logon. And there used to be two.

All they can do is click on the "shut down" icon in the lower left corner of
the screen.

How do I fix that!?

Thanks.

Bill H.

More info.

Safe mode does no better. Get no icons to click on.

Tried the C-A-D technique, and when we try using the same display name as
when it was working, (there are no passwords on the two accounts), we get a
message about "local policy of this system does not permit you to log on
interactively."

Now, what does THAT mean?

Is there a way to boot with the Win install CD and then do a system restore
on the system?

Thanks!

--Bill