No log-off or Shut-down in Start Menu

R

Richard in AZ

I was helping a fellow club member get his computer to boot. After a successful safe-mode restore
it booted again, but I noticed that the Start Menu did not have either a log-off or shut-down
button. He claimed the computer has never had these buttons and he has always used the "task
manager" to shut down. (Ctrl + Alt + Del). It is a 3 yr old HP.

I tried the registry fix from Kellys-Korner (row 267) but that did not restore these buttons.
He has a royal mess for file organization and is scared to death of letting me try a repair
installation.
(Example: He downloaded an update to OpenOffice 2.2 and then let it unzip the setup files into his
"My Documents" folder. Now he does not know which files are his documents and which files are the
setup files. He has a years worth of OpenOffice files in that folder.)

He has run an up-to-date Spybot scan and Ad-aware scan and Windows Defender scan.
We also ran an AVG scan. (He was trying to install the AVG Internet Security package he won at a
club raffle when the computer would not boot.) We now have the AVG Free antivirus installed.

I would like to help him at least get this shut-down button back. Any other suggestions?

W

WTC

Hi Richard in AZ,

Look at these locations:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

NoClose should have a value of '0' (Zero).

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

NoLogOff should have a value of '0' (Zero).

Check:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local
Policies > User Rights Assignments > Shutdown the System.

The List should contain:

Administrators
Users
Power User
Backup Operators

If this does not help then scan the registry for 'NoClose' and
'NoLogOff'. If any entries are found then set the value to '0' (zero).

Ask a Question