No full screen DOS programs using RC1

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Nope, Power Shell is not included in Vista, same old Command Prompt you have
been using since Windows 2000.

Tom Lake

Andre Da Costa said:
Normal, you can't full screen either in XP CMD.

I can in XP but not in Vista RC1 or RC2.

I'm using an ATI AIW X800 XT with the latest drivers for both
XP and RC2.

Tom Lake

roman modic

Hello!

Tom Lake said:
I can in XP but not in Vista RC1 or RC2.

I'm using an ATI AIW X800 XT with the latest drivers for both
XP and RC2.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5102-10877-6092566.html

When you access the Command Prompt Properties dialog box, you'll find that the controls are almost identical. The only difference is
that the Options tab in Windows Vista no longer provides the Display Options panel, which contained the Window and Full Screen
settings. In fact, I received an error message when I pressed the Full Screen shortcuts keys [Alt][Enter]. It appears that running a
full screen Command Prompt window in Windows Vista is no longer possible.

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/20/dos-fonts/

Enjoy this trick while you can. Beginning with Vista (and Longhorn Server), Microsoft has permanently removed access to full screen
mode for the command window.

Maybe you can "emulate" full screen by changing font used in command session
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247815
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/UsingConsolasAsTheWindowsConsoleFont.aspx
Turns out you can add it to the list of fonts available to the console by adding it to
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Console/TrueTypeFont

You can also use suitable raster fonts available here
(DOSFon fonts for large resolutions are not free)
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfonfe.shtml

In this case you may need to change your system.ini
to use raster DOSFon fonts in your (16-bit ) apps by changing
woafont= setting in section [386Enh]
http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/system_ini_options.htm

(I haven't tried it in Vista yet - is system.ini
still supported in Vista?)

Cheers, Roman

P.S. It seems that DOSBox is working full-screen in Vista:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=93411

Jon Davis

Don't confuse DOS with CMD.EXE. DOS is a 16-bit operating system. The last
version of DOS was bundled with Windows 98 and was stripped from Windows ME.
Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 don't have DOS at all but rather a 16-bit DOS
emulator along with a command.com-compatible command shell (CMD.EXE). But
16-bit emulation of all forms is indeed removed from Vista.

Regarding PowerShell in Vista, ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
Microsoft originally intended to launch PowerShell along with Windows Vista,
but later defined a separate release schedule for PowerShell.

Jon

roman modic

Hello!

Jon Davis said:
Don't confuse DOS with CMD.EXE. DOS is a 16-bit operating system. The last version of DOS was bundled with Windows 98 and was
stripped from Windows ME. Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 don't have DOS at all but rather a 16-bit DOS emulator along with a
command.com-compatible command shell (CMD.EXE). But 16-bit emulation of all forms is indeed removed from Vista.

IMHO: No!
16-bit emulation is removed only from 64-bit Vista (it was already
removed from XP/2003 x64)

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2006/05/28/609372.aspx
On the downside, you'll still see weaker downlevel compatibility on the 64-bit platform: for example, we don't support 16-bit code
from the Windows 3.x days (which is a little more of an issue than many people realize due to the inclusion of 16-bit code in the
installers for some decidedly 32-bit applications).

BTW, is "edlin" (included in Vista) 16-bit DOS application?
http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/...secret-7-the-oldest-component-in-windows.aspx

Cheers, Roman

Jon Davis

IMHO: No!
16-bit emulation is removed only from 64-bit Vista (it was already
removed from XP/2003 x64)

Perhaps you're right, the rumors are not very clear on this.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=75783&SiteID=1
"Windows Vista does not include a 16-bit subsystem. So you will not be able
to run 16-bit applications on Windows Vista."

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Build_5219_Software_Compatibility_List
"All 16 Bit software will fail to run on Vista as such legacy support has
been removed from the OS!"

Jon

roman modic said:
Hello!

Jon Davis said:
[...]

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Andre,
Sorry I wasn't clear in the last posting.
Full screen is not available in X64 for a MS-DOS prompt.
With 32-bit Vista, if you are using an XDDM driver you may be able to get
Full Screen.
I booted into Safe Mode on a 32-bit installation and I was able to go to
Full-Screen.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: No full screen DOS programs using RC1
<Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 23:32:50 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Still don't get the full screen Darrell, running Vista Basic x64 - Geforce
<FX 5200 128 MB AGP WDDM driver. The strange thing, when I browsed the
<contents of my directory, then clicked the title bar CMD icon > clicked
<Defaults, the Full Screen Option was displayed, but did not work.
<--
< Andre
<Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
<My Vista Quickstart Guide:
<http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
<<> Hello,
<> I think this is a limitation of the WDDM video driver stack as well as
<> limitation for X64.
<> If you use a XDDM driver you may be able to get full screen again.
<> For example boot to Safe Mode and try it with the default video driver.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZVBvc3RpbmdIZXJl?=
<> <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:52:01 -0800
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<> <
<> <Is that a 64-bit version?
<> <If so, need to know about the 32-bit version.
<> <
<> <"Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" wrote:
<> <
<> <> Yes, I am running Vista Home Basic x64 RC2 beside me right here.
<> <> --
<> <> Andre
<> <> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
<> <> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
<> <> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
<> <> message <> <> > Did you test with RC2?
<> <> >
<> <> > "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" wrote:
<> <> >
<> <> >> Confirmed, you cannot resize, but you can try using, Windows Sizing
<> from
<> <> >> under the Layout tab.
<> <> >> --
<> <> >> Andre
<> <> >> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
<> <> >> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
<> <> >>
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
<> <> >> "MikePostingHere" <[email protected]>
wrote
<> in
<> <> >> message <> <> >> > XP supported full screen using CMD at using DOS programs.
<> <> >> >
<> <> >> > "MikePostingHere" wrote:
<> <> >> >
<> <> >> >> This is absolutely awful news.
<> <> >> >> Thank for letting me know.
<> <> >> >>
<> <> >> >>
<> <> >> >> "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" wrote:
<> <> >> >>
<> <> >> >> > Normal, you can't full screen either in XP CMD.
<> <> >> >> > --
<> <> >> >> > Andre
<> <> >> >> > Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
<> <> >> >> > My Vista Quickstart Guide:
<> <> >> >> >
<> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
<> <> >> >> > "MikePostingHere" <[email protected]>
<> wrote
<> <> >> >> > in
<> <> >> >> > message
<> <> <> >> >> > > No full screen DOS programs using RC1.
<> <> >> >> > > Using a Nvidia Geoforce FX5200 adapter.
<> <> >> >> > > Is full screen supported in the final release or is this
<> <> >> >> > > issue perhaps limited to my configuration?
<> <> >> >> > >
<> <> >> >> >
<> <> >> >> >
<> <> >> >> >