No file sharing, but can share printer

MLO

Folks:

Have an issue with the file sharing between two computers (Both XP based).
Layout: wireless router directly connected to internet through Cable modem.
One XP wired to the router with ethernet cable, Second XP uses USB Wireless
Adapter to connect to the router. Both PC's see Internet (brose it) - no
problem . On both computers there are folders with Sharing enabled. I am
able to ping PC1 from PC2 and visa versa. From PC2 (wireless) I can see PC1
in My Network Places , open it, see shared folders and actually get an
access to them (copy to and from). The problem is when I use PC1 (wired): I
still see PC2 in My Network places, can open it and see shared folders,
however, if I try to go into them I get message \\PC2\SharedDocs is not
accessible ... I checked PC2 shared folders - sharing on network is enabled
in the folder's properties. Any idea what else I need to do to actually
share them?

Thank you for your help - it is highly appreciated.

Michael O.

P.S. XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall on network connections on
both PC's are disabled by the way. More than that on PC2 I have an access to
PC2's printer over the network (can actually print!).

I am missing something about file sharing set up. Please help!

Chuck

[...]

Michael,

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.
Identify operating system with each ipconfig listing.

On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
you need to have the SFS settings properly set on each computer.

With XP Pro, if SFS is disabled, check the Local Security Policy (Control Panel
- Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
"Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
local users authenticate as themselves".

With XP Pro, if you set the Local Security Policy to "Guest only", make sure
that the Guest account is enabled, and has an identical, non-blank, password on
all computers. If "Classic", setup and use a common account with identical,
non-blank, password on all computers.

On XP Home, or for XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
Guest account is enabled, with identical, non-blank passwords, on each computer.

And Michael, please don't contribute to the spread and success of email address
mining viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a
bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
internet - never post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

MLO

Chuck:
Thank you for reply.
Some more info. Both PC are XP Home edition. Guest account was off on both.
Turned them on - no change.

ipconfig data:
PC1 (shareable files and printer)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL2004
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-E5-DE-66
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
38.9.223.2
PC2 (non-shareable files, but sharable printer)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D2002
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC2662W V.2 EZ Connect Wireless
USB Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-E2-36-61-A8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 26, 2004 4:16:20
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07
PM

Thanks.
Michael