No e-mail after update to SP3

Tedrick

I updated Office XP to SP3 yesterday and now, my e-mail
no longer works. The POP3 and SMTP settings are
unaltered - I haven't touched them, they are correct as
per my ISP and the SSL server settings are at default,
the way they are supposed to be. I have no third party
plug-ins and the error messages are:
Task 'pop.freeserve.com - Sending and Receiving' reported
error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Unable to find the e-mail server.
Please verify the server information in your account
properties.'

and

Task 'in.pandora.be - Sending and Receiving' reported
error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Unable to find the e-mail server.
Please verify the server information in your account
properties.'

Can you help? Thanks.

kjtwood

Did you ever receive an answer to your question? I just
upgraded to Office XP and I can't send e-mails either. I
receive the same error message you do.

*Vanguard*

"Tedrick" said in news:[email protected]:
I updated Office XP to SP3 yesterday and now, my e-mail
no longer works. The POP3 and SMTP settings are
unaltered - I haven't touched them, they are correct as
per my ISP and the SSL server settings are at default,
the way they are supposed to be. I have no third party
plug-ins and the error messages are:
Task 'pop.freeserve.com - Sending and Receiving' reported
error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Unable to find the e-mail server.
Please verify the server information in your account
properties.'

and

Task 'in.pandora.be - Sending and Receiving' reported
error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Unable to find the e-mail server.
Please verify the server information in your account
properties.'

Can you help? Thanks.

"Unable to find the e-mail server"

You don't mention your version of Windows so I'll guess you are using some NT-based flavor of Windows. I'm also assuming you did a reboot after the Office update although none was mentioned as being required. The problem is that your computer cannot "find" the specified mail servers.

See if you can connect to those mail servers. The point is not to actually perform any commands to manage your e-mail but simply to see if you can get into their mail servers separately of your e-mail client program. Do the following in a DOS shell (aka command prompt):

telnet pop.freeserve.com 110
telnet in.pandora.be 25

Just see if you can establish a session with their mail server. If so then just enter 'quit' to end the session, or hit Ctrl-C if it doesn't respond (or just close the DOS shell). I was able to open a session with their POP3 server but not with their SMTP server (in.pandora.be). This could be because they refuse off-domain connections to their SMTP server to prevent abuse by spammers, or they use a different port than the standard one of 25, or they require SSL protocol for a secure connection.

If you cannot get a connection to the mail server host, it could be that your computer cannot resolve the IP name into an IP address. In a DOS shell, enter:

nslookup pop.freeserve.com
nslookup in.pandora.be

Can your computer get the DNS records for these IP names (what you use) to resolve them to their IP addresses (what the computer actually uses)? Your computer is going nowhere without the IP addresses. If you don't have nslookup then use ping; it may not find a responsive server but the point here is that it should report back the IP address for the IP name you specified.

If you can get the IP address then check if you have a route to get to their servers. Run a traceroute:

tracert pop.freeserve.com
tracert in.pandora.be

Hopefully the trace gets all the way to the targeted host. However, sometimes a border host will prevent any further intrusion into a network but that host should be in the same domain. For example, you might not be able to get to the "in" host on the pandora.be domain but you should get to some host on the pandora.be domain. Unfortunately, that border host might not be assigned a DNS record so you have to lookup the last reachable host's IP address registration to see who owns it. The following are some WhoIs sites to check who owns what IP address:

ARIN (North America): http://www.arin.net/tools/
APNIC (Asian Pacific): http://www.apnic.net/
LACNIC (Latin American & Caribbean): http://lacnic.net/cgi-bin/lacnic/whois?lg=EN
RIPE (European): http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois

Each registratrar handles IP address allocations in its area so you'll have to check with each one to see who has the IP address registered. There are tools that will query several WhoIs databases, like SamSpade.

If you have a firewall and anti-virus software, try disabling them to see if you then get a connection. You might also try running msconfig.exe to disable all startup programs and reboot to see if something is interferring with your e-mail connectivity.

Tedrick

Sir, Madam,

I don't know who you are, but thank you very much for
helping me out. After all that work, it was your last,
and probably most simple, thing that I should have
checked. My firewall did not recognise Outlook after the
update. Now it does. It works, and I am grateful for
your assistance in helping out this numpty.
"Tedrick" said in news:14ae501c414e1$58c57830 [email protected]:

[...]

The firewall problem was the last source I thought about. My firewall (Norton Internet Security) is configured to NOT automatically add programs to its application rules list. I want to see when a program wants to connect even if it is in Symantec's "safe list". After any update that modifies or replaces a file, the hash code for that file will be different than before (i.e., the firewall's signature for the file changes) so it pops up a prompt asking me to authorize a connection. Other proxies can interfere with e-mail service if they aren't functional, like SpamPal (anti-spam) and YahooPOPs (for Yahoo Mail access). Firewalls are also proxies; the "personal" versions often run as a transparent proxy to eliminate users having to reconfigure their software to go through the proxy.