No DVD Video sound in Vista Ultimate

J

Jan Il

I have a laptop with Vista Ultimate SP2 x86 installed and when I try to run a movie or music DVD from the DVD ROM there is no sound in either Vista Media Center or Media Player. Sound works for everything else, and the same DVD's will play fine when loged on to XP Pro SP3 X86 on the same machine.

The laptop is an HP zv6000, the DVD ROM is a Mashita UJ-840D. I have tried updating the driver, everything suggested by HP support, and nothing has worked. The only way I have been able to get sound with the DVDs in Vista or Win7 Ultimate x64 on that same machine is by installing the VCL, which plays the same DVDs from the same ROM fine.

So, what does XP and the VCL have that the MS the two state-of-the-art OS's don't?

Jan :)

V

vista bill

I have a laptop with Vista Ultimate SP2 x86 installed and when I try to run a movie or music DVD from the DVD ROM there is no sound in  either Vista Media Center or Media Player. Sound works for everything else, and the same DVD's will play fine when loged on to XP Pro SP3 X86 on the same machine.

The laptop is an HP zv6000, the DVD ROM is a Mashita UJ-840D. I have tried updating the driver, everything suggested by HP support, and nothing has worked.  The only way I have been able to get sound with the DVDs in Vista or Win7 Ultimate x64 on that same machine is by installing the VCL, whichplays the same DVDs from the same ROM fine.  

So, what does XP and the VCL have that the MS the two state-of-the-art OS's don't?

J

Jan Il

VCL works fine, I just can't understand why Vista and Win7 neither one will play the sound from the DVD ROM. Having checked some of the forums, this seems to be a wide spread problem, and many have used the XP driver instead of the Vista driver and could get sound just fine.

It was my understanding that the Vista and Win7 Media Centers were totally capable of playing DVD's, which they will, but, with no sound.

So much for state-of-the-art technology. :)

D

Dave-UK

Jan Il said:
VCL works fine, I just can't understand why Vista and Win7 neither one will play the sound from the DVD ROM. Having
checked some of the forums, this seems to be a wide spread problem, and many have used the XP driver instead of the
Vista driver and could get sound just fine.

It was my understanding that the Vista and Win7 Media Centers were totally capable of playing DVD's, which they will,
but, with no sound.

So much for state-of-the-art technology. :)

I'm wondering if it could be anything to do with DRM. Does it only happen with commercial
dvds or does it happen with home-made dvds.

J

Jan Il

Hi Dave, commercial movies, I don't have home-made movie DVD's. I have some MS Office 2007 tutorial Videos that I have played on this laptop in Vista and the sound worked fine. It seems to be only the movies that the sound is lot. How can I check the DRM?

Thank you.

D

Dave-UK

Jan Il said:
Hi Dave, commercial movies, I don't have home-made movie DVD's. I have some MS Office 2007 tutorial Videos that I
have played on this laptop in Vista and the sound worked fine. It seems to be only the movies that the sound is lot.
How can I check the DRM?

Thank you.

After a bit of Googling I don't think it can be a DRM
problem now. Apparently you would get an error message
about 'media usage rights' or something like that.
As you say, it seems to be a common problem, and I found
this thread about AC3 codecs but you have probably been
down that route with HP support.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...s/thread/b08dc571-6e1c-4069-8b7b-705dc5fb4550

J

Jan Il

Hi Dave, yes, I have tried the AC3 Codecs and the K-Lite codec package, and have scoured the forums for things that will work, even tried installing the XP drivers as has also been suggested by several people are a workable solution, but, so far nothing has worked. It simply amazes me that the minds at Microsoft can produce software like Vista and Win7, yet, after their customers shell out the money to buy these two products many of them must use a free 3rd party software to play commercial movie DVDs in Vista or Win7 Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player in order to have sound for them.

Ask a Question