no domain controller can be found by clients

Dan

We recently tested terminal services on our windows 2000
server, had some problems when we installed terminal
services liscensing and upgraded the server to application
services. DNS and WINS server were also affected. (we
could no longer open the MMC to those services) we
bought a new server and installed term server there. We
removed the terminal services and term services
liscensing, from original server. DNS and WINS servers
were also removed and reinstalled. We only had the one
server and active directory was being used.

Now the local clients cannot locate a domain server. They
can log on thier workstations locally and accesss files on
the server thru network neighboorhood. have done a
nslookup and no DC can be found.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to where to go from
here?

Thanks
Dan

Paul McGuire

You don't need need terminal licence. Remote administration will allow 2
concurrent TS sessions at a time and does not require any thing special.
Make sure DNS is point to the new server if the old server dns is messed
up.. don't know how TS would mess up DNS. Make sure on the new server you
have made it a GC and you can see all of the computer accounts in AD. Also
you may want to transfer all 5 FSMO roles.

David Pharr [MSFT]

Clients query dns to locate a domain controller, so ensuring that clients
point to internal dns servers only is critical.

247811 How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=247811

Make sure your DC is configured correctly for dns and that it is working
fine. The following articles should help:

237675 Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=237675

291382 Frequently Asked Questions About Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

298143 How to Verify an Active Directory Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298143

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)