No CD Drive available in XP Pro

Steve P

I just installed a new motherboard ASUS A7N8X-X and reinstalled windows xp
pro and then SP2.
I noticed that although I could see my DVD/CD Burner (Liteon SOHW-812S) on
the BIOS boot up page, when windows was fully booted, the drive doesn't show
up in explorer or in the device manager.
When I run the "add new hardware" wizard, once it does the initial search
for hardware, the drive suddenly shows up in explorer and the device
manager.

Interestingly, when the drive is available, I've changed the letter of the
drive to Y: and when I reboot, the drive goes away, and I restore it using
the "add new hardware" process, it retains the y: setting.

Any ideas for resolution?

I tried:
Restore CD/DVD Drives
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

but it seemed to have no effect.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting here.

First, I agree with Treeman that please update the firmware to see the
efforts.

If the problem still occurs, I have some suggestions as below:

1. As you said "the drive goes away". Check that it disappears in "My
Computer" or also disappears in "Device manager"?
2. Follow the article to see the effort:

314060 CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32,
Code
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314060

3. If you find the DVD is already in "Device Manger", please try to remove
it and re-install it. Please don't change the device letter and reboot to
see what happens.

4. Try to create a new user to test if this issue relate to User Profile.
Steps as below:
1) Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
2) Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3) Click User Accounts.
4) Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
5) In the left pane, click the Users folder.
6) On the Action menu, click New User.
7) Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.
8) Logon with the new user account to see if the issue occurs in the user
profile. If the problem occurs, please go to the next step.

5. I also suggest we may boot into Safe Mode to check if this issue relate
to third-party.
You may start your computer in safe mode to see if this issue occurs. And
the step to boot into safe mode is below:

Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows
device drivers and using the standard VGA display adapter.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be used
during Safe Mode. You will temporarily be unable to connect to the Internet
temporarily while in Safe Mode.

If this issue disappears in the safe mode, I suspect that it is related to
some third-party services or programs. You may Use Clean Boot to eliminate
third party interference Boot into Clean Boot environment. Steps are below.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Steve P" <[email protected]>
| Subject: No CD Drive available in XP Pro
| Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:05:09 -0500
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deploym
ent