No BIOS setup, only VIA VT8276 screen, "reboot and select proper boot device" apears

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently purchased a K8V-X SE motherboard and have not been able to boot into windows or access the bios setup. When I switch on the PC, the following happens:

1. VIA KT8237 SATA Raid screen appears with the message "Hard Disk Not Detected". The standard ASUS screen (with "Press DEL to enter SETUP" option) does not appear.

2. Tried pressing DEL......nothing. Eventually the screen goes blank the following message appears:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or put media in the boot device and press any key"

I never once get an option to enter setup. I believe the problem is with the SATA configuration. I have an IDE ATA drive with windows XP already installed. This hard disk(Fujitsu 60GB) works fine with other machines. I have also tried another Hard disk which has windows XP, which is from another PC that also has the K8v-X SE motherboard. This motherboard works fine with it however, with this new motherboard that I have purchased, neither hard disk is detected. I have tried the following:

- Changed jumper settings on both HD's to "cable select" & "master".
- Moved the 1GB RAM Samsung to the other memory slot.
- Tried a Kingston 512MB RAM in both Slots.
- Added both the 512 & 1GB.
- Disconnected all devices(CDROM, FLOPPY)
- Cleared RTC(Switched off, unplugged cable Changed Jumper, removed battery).
- Used ASUS EZ Flash to reload/update BIOS.

After trying this, I had problems where the monitor would not switch(standby light remained on amber) on when powering the PC. The Reseller replaced the motherboard(He had another K8V-X SE motherboard which was faulty). He also tried another processor. This resolved the monitor issue however, I am back where I started. I remember having this problem with the other motherboard but I am not sure what I did to resolve it.

I do not know what to do next.

Thanks

Douglas​

Reaction score
I just purchased a SATA drive which it recognises and I get into the RAID setup(no options available as I only have one drive connected), but still cannot get the option or access the main BIOS. I tried the old HD again but it looks like its had its last day.

Now, It starts up, passes the RAID chipset screen, recognises the SATA drive but the cursor flashes on a blank screen and does nothing. This would be simple If could only get into the BIOS.​

Ask a Question