no beep, no video after cpu fan replacement

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Will keep my fingers crossed for you as well.

A cheaper option, well if its still available that is, one of the moderators was selling off oldish stuff and i don't think anyone bought the CPU, Mobo & RAM, will see if ican find the thread, maybe he will sort you out if it isn't sold.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3675896.php

Last edited:
Reaction score
That’s your problem.

Ok the fan stopped working, and now you have an overheated CPU [welded], which will cause quite a number of damaged components MOBO +? That’s why it would not separate from the cooler the heat it generates is tremendous therefore soldered items on the MOBO would possibly come adrift you have possibly bent/dislodged the pins on the CPU for starters? So without seeing the PC I assume what has been said is the only solution, you either upgrade or just use the components I suggested, as they are cheap but adequate to do what you need to do, did you check the PSU [power supply]?:)

Reaction score
itsme, thanks very much for yours. I must have confused things because the dead heat sink came off the cpu without a hitch when I removed it to replace it with the new one. The new cooler fan ran normally after the new unit was installed.

But when I removed the new unit in preparation of removing the cpu, the cpu came off attached to the heat sink with the thermal paste (with new paste). The paste was still soft so it was not difficult to slide the cpu apart from the heat sink. Nothing, as far as I know, was welded to anything.

Whether the heat issues from the original cooler fan failure caused a problem in the cpu or the mobo or both, I still don't know, or whether it is something else. It does not seem logical that the psu would have been damaged, and the fact that the green light on the mobo is on and that the new cooler fan ran normally would indicate that it is not entirely dead. Obviously they both draw very little power and do not give a true indication that the psu has not partially failed.

Now that assumption may be questionable. I have been fiddling and tried replacing the cpu (after cleaning it up) and the cooler unit (with new paste carefully and thinly applied) and now the cooler fan will not run. Why would removing and replacing it cause it to stop working?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
It shouldn't.

I'm pretty sure that if a PSU goes it will go totally, you might get brown outs if its not powerful enough for your Rig but that doesn't really apply here.

Only other thing i can think off is that you have a short somewhere in the case, like two unshielded wires touching eachother or something isn't wired up properly. But then you rebuilt out of the case so that gets rid of the short.

Without having another Rig you can swap bits into to test them its going to be pretty tough to actually find the cause.

How old is the Rig?

Might be time to let it R.I.P and fork out for an upgrade.

Hopefully some of the other guys and gals will try and help, as you've probably realised without any of us being able to get hands on it sometimes gets confusing and things get repeated and what not.

Anyway goodluck and if i think of anything else i'll let you know.

Reaction score
I don't think any of the other bits are at issue for the moment. If I can't get a BIOS power up and beep, either the PSU is indeed faulty but this can be checked by pulling a PSU out of another computer, or much more likely the mobo is dead.

If the psu checks out, it looks like the thing to do is to buy a replacement mobo and see if the old cpu will boot up in it, and if not then find a replacement cpu. This should not be too expensive if I can find the replacements. If not, I'll be forced to upgrade, although I don't really need an upgrade. I would not want to put any money into a 32 bit system so if I am forced to upgrade, expect it will be a good idea to go to a low spec dual core.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Yes somewhat confusing:confused: .

Now I said possibly the PSU?

A computer will show a light on the MOBO even though you have a faulty PSU it will even start to run but no further. So try the other PSU first if that fails>

I would not hesitate in trying the components I have mentioned in the links, or you maybe a long time trying to sort the problem out?

When you said about the CPU coming off with the cooler its immaterial as to when it happened, it happened and should not have?
The paste will remain soft always:nod: if it goes hard there is a problem with overheating?
I await to see how you get on with the instalation any problems let us know;)

Ask a Question