No access to HD with recovery console

Michael Pitz

Hi,

startinthe recovery console from CD there should appear something like

Microsoft Windows(R) Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery
functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

but I do only get a C:\>.
That means I cannot choose the Windows installation and I cannot access
C:\. If a try a dir for instance I get "Fehler beim Auflisten des
Verzeichnisses" (translated: error listing directory).

I can access the other drives (D:\, E:\) and dir prints their contents.

I have the problem of this reboot loop and I would like to repair the
registry as described in kb307545.

I am using XP Home with NTFS. Any suggestions?

Bye,
Michael

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Some Windows XP Recovery CD-ROM's do not allow you to start the Windows SETUP.
In such cases you need to create Windows XP Boot Floppy disks and boot from a floppy
drive.

Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994&Product=winxp

Note: There are two different sets of Setup Disks. If your Rcovery CD includes SP1,
only use the Setup Disks designed for SP1.

Recovering Windows XP using the Recovery Console
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm#q310994

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Michael Pitz" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Hi,
|
| startinthe recovery console from CD there should appear something like
|
| Microsoft Windows(R) Recovery Console
|
| The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery
| functionality.
| Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.
|
| 1: C:\WINDOWS
|
| Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
| (To cancel, press ENTER)?
|
| but I do only get a C:\>.
| That means I cannot choose the Windows installation and I cannot access
| C:\. If a try a dir for instance I get "Fehler beim Auflisten des
| Verzeichnisses" (translated: error listing directory).
|
| I can access the other drives (D:\, E:\) and dir prints their contents.
|
| I have the problem of this reboot loop and I would like to repair the
| registry as described in kb307545.
|
| I am using XP Home with NTFS. Any suggestions?
|

| Bye,
| Michael

Michael Pitz

Hi,
Some Windows XP Recovery CD-ROM's do not allow you to start the Windows SETUP.
In such cases you need to create Windows XP Boot Floppy disks and boot from a floppy
drive.

I have two CDROMS (and two problems with two different computers :)

One doesn't even let me start the recovery console, the other one let's
start it but the screen doesn't look like
http://www.wown.com/img/gif_wxp/rcons03.gif,

the

1: C:\WINNT

is not present. So the Windows XP Recovery CD-ROM let's me start the setup.

Michael Pitz

Hi,

I tried the boot disk - same result. I cannot logon to the installation:

logon at the prompt of the recovery console prints a blank line.

Bye,
Michael