Nikon's newest Digital SLR D200 released

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Nikon has announced (not to my surprise) the Nikon D200, a ten-point-two megapixel digital SLR with professional features and build quality in a compact body. From a features and functionality point of view the D200 is much closer to the D2X than the D100. Highlights are a magnesium-alloy body, an 11-area AF sensor, 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 5 frames per second continuous shooting, 2.5" LCD monitor, USB 2.0, 1/250 sec X-sync plus WiFi and GPS support. The D200 is about 100g heavier than the D100 but 240g lighter than the D2X.

PDF file will give all the information that you might like to read on this latest toy from Nikon. Anyone on this forum contemplating to go for D200 besides me?

Price in UK £1299 (body only)
Price in US $1699 (body only)

Attachments

• frontview-001.jpg
    frontview-001.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 299
  • D200nr.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 378
Reaction score
heh,.

thought I'd pop by and see if you were comtemplating this one,.

from what I've read it looks like a winner,. no one will really know how good the image quality is till the production versions are out

you can get it on pre-order in UK for 1199 (warehouseexpress) - expected sometime in december but who knows how many they'll get / when they come in exactly..

couple of pre-reviews reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/
http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d200/dslr_EN1.html
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htm
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-7888-8061

There's no way I could justify spending near 3k on the d2x and this one looks like a nice upgrade from a d70(s) for less money than the d2x :)

Sil

PS, just to be clear - I am way thinking of getting one :lol:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well the exciting thing about the D200 is that all the four lenses that I presently have from my film camera would be usable with D200, including the micro-nikkor :thumb::D::thumb:

Reaction score
yep, they would fully work on the d2x as well,. they will work on all the nikons slrs just that the metering (full matrix) wouldn't work,. though I'm not an expert so I wouldn't guarentee any of that..

certainly the d200 is more like the d2x in terms of handling older lenses, you can even set the aperture using the lens so I understand :)

so when you ordering yours ? ;)

Sil

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I had been waiting for the D200 since last March when the rumours about a new digital camera were spreading like wild fire on the Internet. I was debating at that time to go for the dSLR (d70). I got in touch with a very good friend who on 18th March sent to me following message.

Hi Anis,

I asked my friend (who's been in the photo/camera/optics business for 17
years) to check with his Nikon guy and see what he could find out. Here's
the latest -- Nikon will introduce a Rebel XT competitor dSLR called the
D50 (probably an updated but simplified D100 with the 8 megapixel CCD sensor
from the CP8700/8800/8400 series) sometime later this year (summer) and then
this fall just in time for the holiday buying season Nikon will introduce
the new D200 (8-10 megapixels with lots of new pro features and the best
elements of both the D70 and D100 built on the D70 platform) designed to
compete directly with the EOS 20D. Nikon's past history with new models
indicates both introductions will likely be late. Realistically, look for
the D50 for Xmas and the D200 sometime early next year.

Bear in mind that this is unofficial and there are no guarantees as to its
accuracy, but it does come from a reasonably knowledgeable source. I have
heard some industry rumbles about the D50, but this is the first I've heard
about the D200.

I'm sorry I couldn't find out anything more definite, but nobody really
knows what is happening with new models except EOM R&D folks, and they ain't
allowed to discuss it.

Today when I look back all the way back to March 2005, I am glad that I relied on my good friend for the D200. You will notice that there is only one thing which was incorrectly stated, the D200 is not comparable to either D70 or D100 but rather closer to D2X actually, which is even better. Still the information was pretty accurate considering it was way back in March of this year.

I actually was under the impression that I would buy it in early 2006 when it would be released but it is already here! I will still wait till early next year as my current spare change is all used up. Besides its not just the camera that I would be getting but two additional items as well, SB600 and an the 17-55 mm lens and some accessories. The total cost would not be small by any means and that is why I would rather be comfortable than go ahead with it now. I do not like to use the credit card obsessively.:p

What you say?;)

Reaction score
yeah sounds like a plan :)

I have the sb800 and the only real diff between that and the sb600 as I understand it is you can use the 800 as a commander - but the d200 has 3 flash groups controllable from the camera (and you can use the d200 inbuilt flash to contribute to the lighting - way cool)

certaintly I think the d200 is going to eat into d2x sales - the AF on the d2x is lightly to be better but for most ppl (me included) the d2x is too much money and it's big an heavy (I doubt I'll get the vertical grip for the d200)

in some ways (well most ways!) I don't need the d200 but it has the following advantages over the d70

cable release (though I could get that on a d70s)

viewfinder size - according to pre-reviews it's as big or bigger than the d2x (I doubt it somehow - or at least it's prolly not quite as bright and unfort you can't change the focusing screen on the d200)

AF speed,. rarely do I shoot much that moves fast,. the mirror blackout time is shorter than the d70 (tho longer than the d2x) but hopefully it'll do a better job of focusing on moving targets when you stick it on contineous (the d70 blackout time is too long to do a good job)

mirror lockup,. missing from d70(s) not sure I would use it all that much but it is nice to know you can

build / weather sealing - actually I don't have an issue with the d70 in these areas tbh, I tend not to get the camera wet or dirty and I don't usually drop them - the d70 feels quite solid

more mp - not really much of an issue - prolly handy for poster size prints

other minor stuff,. having the iso setting visible in the viewfinder is def a plus point

I think unless there's some nasty suprise with the d200 (which seems unlikely at this point) then it's def worth a punt,. well tbh I've pre-ordered one and having to wait till xmas is going to be a pain (hopefully it'll arrive for xmas - fingers crossed!) :)

on the one hand it's a lot of money but given the feature set I think it should last me for a fair while :)

Sil

Last edited:
Reaction score
mag was practical photography, I had a quick look at it and they like it a lot - tend to agree the feature set for the money is good compared to what else is out at the moment :)

Sil

Reaction score
just to add - I am enjoying my d200, it takes a little getting used to compared to the d70, the higher resolution and lower default iso means I am more prone to shake it - but on the upside the noise at higher ISOs is v clean looking (tried iso 1250 and the results impressed me)

is a few pics from d200 @ http://oneoddsock.co.uk/gallery - toward the bottom :)

Sil

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
silver said:
just to add - I am enjoying my d200, it takes a little getting used to compared to the d70, the higher resolution and lower default iso means I am more prone to shake it - but on the upside the noise at higher ISOs is v clean looking (tried iso 1250 and the results impressed me)

is a few pics from d200 @ http://oneoddsock.co.uk/gallery - toward the bottom :)

Sil
I know I've said this before, but some amazing photos there. (I love http://oneoddsock.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-270).

How do you and Anis both manage to take such quality photos, does it make a big difference using something a bit more advanced than my "point and shoot" digital? (Plus quite a lot of skill of course ;))

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sil,

Very nice pics indeed, I especially liked the album with birds! :thumb: Glad you are enjoying your D200, must be real fun, I can imagine that.

Although it is a sad day really, Konica-Minolta announcing closure of camera and photo business. :( My first SLR was a Minolta.

Reaction score
thanks guys :)

d200 seems a very usable little camera, whether it's worth the price diff over the d70 is a harder call, generally I think I could have lived with the d70 for another year but sometimes you just want the latest toy ;)

a lot in the gallery are taken with 70-200mm 2.8 lens, the lens probably has more impact on image quality than the camera itself,.

regards p+s, I think most types of shots can be done on most types of camera,. high end p+s cameras are getting pretty good but w/o using both I can't really comment on the differences

yep - is sad abt minolta, less choice is always a bad thing for consumers

Sil

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
How do you and Anis both manage to take such quality photos, does it make a big difference using something a bit more advanced than my "point and shoot" digital? (Plus quite a lot of skill of course ;))

I know Sil would be answering the question as well, but I will take a stab at it:

In my opinion, good equipment does help but it is not the equipment ratherthe idiot behind the camera who contributes more for the way a picture is taken. Following attributes are needed to be a good photographer:

1 Practice, practice and practice
2 understanding the basics of composition and applying the rules in given circumstances
3 Patience, patience and patience.
4 an analytical eye, not that it is something a person is born with but, can be learned with the passage of time.
5 Focus, not the function part of camera, but focus on the type of photography one should persue, no one can be good at everything so it becomes important that one chooses the type (example, landscape, portraits, still life etc)
6 Self critique (with an honest approach)

I may come back with some more if I recall them. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
In my opinion, good equipment does help but it is not the equipment ratherthe idiot behind the camera who contributes more for the way a picture is taken.

Who you calling an idiot ;) :D

Thanks for the list, I really want to go somewhere so I can practice taking photos. Next time I am out, I will bring it along and see what I can do :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Who you calling an idiot ;) :D

Thanks for the list, I really want to go somewhere so I can practice taking photos. Next time I am out, I will bring it along and see what I can do :)

Myself, who else! for all those mistakes that I made in the last 35 years and till today continue to make them. Some say I have a lot of experience, but what actually they are saying is that I have a list of mistakes which is as long as Wall inside China :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yesterday was playing around with the D200 bought by my friend (a professional photographer). It's a very impressive piece of kit with a plethora of controls and advanced picture taking techniques built into it. I wanted to find out how it fares in the noise department, compared to a prosumer of yesteryears. Very impressive indeed!

I also was curious about its auto white balance if it was upto task with indoor lighting, but, it did not deliver :( I realised that auto white balance is still a tricky thing and one needs to set is right manually to achieve correct colours even if a camera like the D200 is used.

I had showed the watch pictures I had taken earlier with the Nikon Coolpix 995 to my friend and wanted him to shoot the same thing. I did not give him any details and wanted him to figure it out himself. His experience with the camera was just three days and he was also trying to understand the behaviour of the D200.

He took the pictures which I am posting here. Theses pictures are not tweaked in any way except the size reduced and coverted to jpeg from Raw for posting purpose. My original pictures can be found in this thread for comparision.

The lens used for the shoot was a 105/2.8 Nikkor AF with conditions same as when I had done the shooting.

Attachments

• DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0095.jpg
    DSC_0095.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 132
Reaction score
v nice :)

white balance will always be a bit hit and miss indoors I think, the d2x has an extra wb sensor on top where the d200 has a flash..

noise I am pretty amazed by,. nothing to complain all the way to 1600iso :)

really with these dslrs expect to tweak the image afterwards,. if shot raw wb is a doddle to adjust :)

Sil

PS, work in progress - some of the images I will remove and I've only just started going through and organising pics, all the ones there so far are d200 http://www.pixmad.com/gallery/ :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
silver said:
v nice :)

white balance will always be a bit hit and miss indoors I think, the d2x has an extra wb sensor on top where the d200 has a flash..

noise I am pretty amazed by,. nothing to complain all the way to 1600iso :)

really with these dslrs expect to tweak the image afterwards,. if shot raw wb is a doddle to adjust :)

Sil

PS, work in progress - some of the images I will remove and I've only just started going through and organising pics, all the ones there so far are d200 http://www.pixmad.com/gallery/ :)

I just had a good look at the Dorset Album "Seascapes" and I am very impressed with the images, its not the D200 that I am praising here, its your ability to capture the scenes and your choice of angles and the metering is of course brilliant on your part for the given light at that hour of the day.

I particularly liked the three pictures, call it favourites from the lot which were numbered 32, 128, and 92, if one is looking at the album the pictures are the 1st on top and the last two at the bottom ;)

From your pics I can tell the film is finally laid to rest as far as I am concerned. I know the pictures are just jpeg images but I can very well imagine what they would be in full glory in highest resolution and file size.

Thank you for sharing it here :)

Reaction score
thanks (I think you are too kind!) :)

one thing with the exposure / contrast / colours,. with film if you wanted to up the contrast or change the exposure slightly you'd be in a dark room with different types of paper and a stopwatch trying to get the effect just right,. with digital it's much easier to tweak things in the 'development process'

Sil

Ask a Question