Nikon Coolpix2100 not connecting via USB

My Nikon CoolPix2100 is not recognized when connected to my computer. I run windows XP home. The camera does not come w/ installation software because apparently it uses the system drivers. As well, I've connected a Nikon D100 camera to my computer and not had any problems. According to the Nikon manual the installation process is identical to both of these digital cameras. All you need to do is connect the camera to the computer via USB cord and Windows XP should recognize the camera and load the necessary drivers. Why does one camera work and the other not?

My thoughts were that there is an issue w/ the USB cord, but my CoolPix2100 works fine on other computers. It has been connected to a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP Home and a Desktop running Windows XP Pro. It seems as though the problem originates in my computer, not my camera.

The message I do get when I connect my CoolPix 2100 is: USB device detected.... Then the next message is: USB device not recognized, reconnect device...

When I check my Device manager, the camera isn't loaded as an "image device" but as an "unknown device" The unknown device's properties state that it's not working properly. No drivers were installed. However, when I connect the Nikon D100 to my computer the device manager shows: the removable drive, the camera is described as Mass USB device (under the USB controller).

The next issue I have is that whenever I attempt to connect my CoolPix camera to my computer, it causes my camera to freeze. I am unable to shut off the camera w/o disconnecting the batteries. I've tried calling the tech support at Nikon and I've tried all of their suggestions. I thought that maybe the problem originates w/ my computer so I'd try finding some suggestions here. Thanks in advance.

pwrberry

You SHOULD have got an install disk. In my box was the camera itself,
usb cables, memory card, some discs, battery charger and batteries and
a manual.

However, i didnt need the install disk. i just plugged it into the usb
port, turned camera on and windows did the rest. The camera was picked
up as a usb mass storage device and given a drive letter.

Have you tried a different usb port, or if its connected to a hub, try
connecting it directly to the pc.

hope this helps

im running xp pro

paul

dev

Asa said:
[...]

If you haven't done so already, remove the bogus devices in Device
Manager. Click VIEW menu|SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.

That dones, with the camera power turned off, plug in the USB cord.
Lastly, turn the camera power on.

Just tried looking @ the hidden devices on the Device manager. I don't have any "non-functioning"/bogus devices. Just to be sure I checked every single device to see if it was functioning properly. When I unplug my camera/disconnect the batteries the "Unknown Device" no longer appears in the Device Manager. So I guess that is not my problem. Thanks though. Anyone else have any suggestions? When I try connecting the Nikon CoolPix 2100 I still get the same error message, however when I plug in the Nikon D100 it is recognized and prompts all of the correct dialogues. What's up?

Travis

I am having the same problem on XP Pro. If I remove the battery from
the camera, then connect to the computer, and turn on the camera...It
will work 1 out of three times.

----- Travis wrote: -----

Try downloading the USB availability update for XP SP1 from windows update.

Thanks. I'll give that a try, but I was wondering if you've tried connecting your camera to another computer (running Windows XP or not) and had your camera work fine. Because the problem w/ my camera seems to only be w/ my own computer. The other computers that I've connected my CoolPix2100 to have all be able to recognize the USB device. I've hooked it up to a computer running Windows 98, another computer running Windows XP Pro. Seems to suggest that my problem originates w/ my computer. I have a Proteva built computer that I bought from Staples. It's running an Athlon AMD 2100+ processer, 80 gb hard drive, 6 USB ports and Windows XP home. Any other USB device that I've hooked up hasn't given me this kind of grief. Thanks for the response though.

Jim Macklin

The camera manual may have some special instructions about
switch positions for connecting the camera and often
external power is suggested because the batteries MUST be at
full voltage to make the USB work.
see http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/ei_cs/faq/qa/qno_3285.htm

Applicable model(s) COOLPIX5400, COOLPIX3100,
COOLPIX2100

Q.No.3285: How should the camera be connected to a PC?
What is the interface? Are there any other methods for
transferring image data between the camera and a PC?
Ans : Use the supplied USB cable to connect the
camera to a PC.
With Nikon View software installed, the images will be
transferred directly to the PC.
It is also possible to transfer the images via the CF
card and a PC card adapter.

----- Jim Macklin wrote: ----

The camera manual may have some special instructions abou
switch positions for connecting the camera and ofte
external power is suggested because the batteries MUST be a
full voltage to make the USB work
see http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/ei_cs/faq/qa/qno_3285.ht

Applicable model(s) COOLPIX5400, COOLPIX3100
COOLPIX210

Q.No.3285: How should the camera be connected to a PC
What is the interface? Are there any other methods fo
transferring image data between the camera and a PC
Ans : Use the supplied USB cable to connect th
camera to a PC
With Nikon View software installed, the images will b
transferred directly to the PC
It is also possible to transfer the images via the C
card and a PC card adapter

Hi. I tried installing the SP that Travis suggested. It worked. ONCE. I tried again and the same problem arose. I've researched the camera's manual thoroughly. I've been directed to switch the USB connection to PTP (because I'm running Windows XP). I've also been diligent about using fully charged batteries. I have Nikon View installed. The time that my camera worked properly, my device manager was able to recognize my camera (by name Nikon E2100 imaging device) and a menu popped up asking me which program I wanted to use to transfer pictures from my camera to my computer. I successfully transferred my pics and successfully disconnected my camera after the transfer. W/ PTP connections all you need to do is shut off the camera.

To make the story interesting, I uninstalled the SP 1 (availability of USB...) and then re-installed it and after that I was able to successfully connect my camera to the computer. BUT only ONCE! My attempts after gave me the same old error message. "USB Device not recognized...USB device has malfunctioned..."

I'm not willing to re-install/un-install this SP every time I want to transfer pics from my camera to my computer. There is hopefully some answer to this dilemna. I feel that it's an issue w/ my USB controller having difficulty w/ this particular device because I haven't had any problems w/ my other USB devices (i.e. Game controllers, printers, Portable MP3 players). Anyone else out there having this problem? Anyone else out there have any suggestions? Willing to try almost anything! Thanks.

dev

Asa said:
[...]

Consider using an inexpensive CF card reader, available at PC and office
outlets. No cord to plug in - just the card - and saves on camera
batteries as well.

Travis

dev said:
Asa said:

Consider using an inexpensive CF card reader, available at PC and office
outlets. No cord to plug in - just the card - and saves on camera
batteries as well.

Have you tried connecting the camera to the USB port in the back of
the computer? I remember reading someting about that when I was
troubleshooting this. If you still have problems, Dev may have the
best answer.

BTW...I have connected to another pc although it was running windows
XP as well. The transfer worked fine.

r gp

I have the same problem..my NIKON COOLPIX 2100 runs on win 98 and
linux KLOPPIX 3.2 beautifully on my pc...but fails and shows all the
below mentioned problems in Win 2000 pro with SP2 and also WIN xp
pro...HELP PLEASE...
Why not kick sum Nikki Butts>
[...]

Steve C. Ray

Do the easy thing - buy one of the card readers that plug into the USB port.
This is faster and doesn't use the camera battery for the transfers. I have
a couple of the readers that were free after the rebate (from Office Max)

--
Steve C. Ray
Replace "mail" with "36db"
r gp said:
Asa <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

It seems as though the problem originates in my computer, not my camera.detected.... Then the next message is: USB device not recognized, reconnect
device...device" but as an "unknown device" The unknown device's properties state
that it's not working properly. No drivers were installed. However, when I
connect the Nikon D100 to my computer the device manager shows: the
removable drive, the camera is described as Mass USB device (under the USB
controller).

ramed

I´m having the same problem with my Coolpix 2100. On my Win XP Pro i
says that USB Device is not recognized. I could get it connected 1 ou
of 5...(the same problem with PTP or Mass Storage).I try it on m
office with a Win 2000 (as Mass storage) and it worked great all th
time...no problem at all. But I don´t want to download photos on m
office...(so it´s not a suggestion...)

Sure it´s a problem with controller. If you want we can compare ou
soft or try different things...but I´m getting out of ideas.

regards,

Marti

-
rame