NewsReader-Binary Grabber

Jeff

I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good program but it
doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab Binaries and string them
together for a complete binary. Any suggestions?

Maxx Pollare

Reality folded in on itself, and somewhere the following words from
"Jeff" apeared in history:
I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good program
but it doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab Binaries
and string them together for a complete binary. Any suggestions?

I'd hate to be offened... But what do you mean by "[one that] Grab
Binaries and string them together for a complete binary"?

Last I checked Xnews had no problems downloading just about anything,
and with a little work you could even use any number of "marginal"
servers with it too...

MLC

Il Sun, 24 Jul 2005 05:33:01 GMT, Jeff ha scritto:
I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good program but it
doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab Binaries and string them
together for a complete binary. Any suggestions?

Dialog does it very well, you can even preview or play the file inside it.
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/features.htm

But if you are an heavy binary downloader, maybe it's better a client
dedicated specifically to binaries. I only know GrabIt and PowerGrab, both
good, maybe GrabIt has a better look and it's updated more frequently.

If you want to use it also for text groups, however, I recommend again
Dialog.

roadster3043

I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good program
but it doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab Binaries
and string them together for a complete binary. Any suggestions?

Greetings.

You can do that with XNews without problems, you need to create a Queue
Folder to place all your binaries there and download and decode them
all at once.

You might be able to get more help about XNews by reading the manual
and also on the newsgroup news.software.readers

Katzy

Heya.

Jeff wrote in message ...
I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good program but it
doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab Binaries and string them
together for a complete binary. Any suggestions?

Space - F4.

Greetz, Katzy.

Mel

I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good program but it
doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab Binaries and string them
together for a complete binary. Any suggestions?
Power-Grab is a 32-bit windows application that allows you to download
files from a Usenet News server.

- Download with up to 8 server connections at once.
- Decodes UU-Encoded and yEnc encoded files.
- Auto-Resume on disconnects and server down-time.
- Modifiable Download Queue window.
- Downloads can be stopped and restarted from where it left off.
- Download speed limit can be set and changed while downloading.
- Header data files are much smaller than those found in other news
grabbers.
- Find window lets you search across ALL groups for keywords
- History window shows what you've done, when you did it, and how long
it took.
- Newsgroup list shows how many files and their total size in K, MB or
GB.
- Lots of testing has made Power-Grab stable and Resource-Friendly!
- Freeware

http://oslab.snu.ac.kr/~soseo/pds/POWER-GRAB-2002-v2_6-RC1.ZIP

Jeff

--

Xnews is not a Binary grabber (As stated by the developer in his/her Xnews
Manual), not offended as I might have explained it wrong. I am not a heavy

Jeff

roadster3043 said:
You might be able to get more help about XNews by reading the manual

Did that, here's what the manual says "Xnews is a general-purpose reader.
Although it handles binaries (quite nicely for my purpose), it's not a
binary grabber or picture viewer."

buzz Light Beer

I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good program but it
doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab Binaries and string them
together for a complete binary. Any suggestions?

For down and dirty mass *binary* downloading, I don't know of a free
program better than PowerGrab. The developer's site is under
construction right now. www.cosmicwolf.com <same author of PowerPost>
It's portable< no install> and easy on resources.
It does kinda have a little trouble w/ downloading and sorting headers
from groups w/ a bazillion headers. (e.g., like w/ GigaNews retention)
And you will have to create other folders for multiple servers<no
prob...since it's portable>

The only proggy that I like better is prob NewsBin Pro < payware>

bLB

Mel

The developer's site is under construction right now.

Chris doesn't seem to be getting much done these days, so don't expect
the site to come back online anytime soon.

jacaranda

For down and dirty mass *binary* downloading, I don't know of a free
program better than PowerGrab.

I use PowerGrab. But to the OP, you can certainly use XNews to do the same
thing. The excerpt quoted from the manual is very misleading.

Whip.Pan

I've used NZB-O-Matic, freeware. Pretty basic, but it does NZB's. Not
pretty or very advanced, but for simple jobs it gets em done. Also, you
can't do more than one stream ast a time, a problem if your Usenet
acc't allows multiple streams.

Franklin

On Sun 24 Jul 2005 06:33:01, Jeff wrote:
I am using Xnews based on recomendations from a.c.f, good
program but it doesnt do one thing I would like it to do. Grab
Binaries and string them together for a complete binary. Any
suggestions?

BNR2 is free and is a binary grabber. Can be a bit idiosyncratic
though. Good support from user community.