Newsgroups screen

I have a 15" screen with resolution usually set to 800 x 600 as the higher
setting is too small to read. I'm running XP and IE 6. Whenever I visit the
Newsgroups page I have to change the screen resolution as I can't see to the
right side of the screen. It disappears off the side and there is no scroll
bar for me to scroll across. The menu part has a scroll bar but not the big
window on the right with the questions and answers. I can't even see the Go
button for Search. What is wrong?

Jan Il

Hi tadpole :)

Try using Outlook Express as our newsreader instead of the web interface.
It is much easier to use and read. You can also customize it to suit your
preferences and needs, which the web interface does not provide.

Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows IE/OE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Robert Aldwinckle

tadpole said:
I have a 15" screen with resolution usually set to 800 x 600 as the higher
setting is too small to read. I'm running XP and IE 6. Whenever I visit the
Newsgroups page I have to change the screen resolution as I can't see to the
right side of the screen. It disappears off the side and there is no scroll
bar for me to scroll across. The menu part has a scroll bar but not the big
window on the right with the questions and answers. I can't even see the Go
button for Search. What is wrong?

Check your DPI setting (in Display Properties)?

Also, be aware that you can doubleclick on a message
in order to open the whole thread in one window.
See if you prefer that presentation of "the questions and answers"
instead.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Thanks for that - double clicking works fine to show the whole message.
Still be nice to see full screen so which display properties are you talking
about? Where do I find this? Thanks.

Robert Aldwinckle

Thanks for that - double clicking works fine to show the whole message.
Still be nice to see full screen so which display properties are you talking
about? Where do I find this? Thanks.

Press Win-D then Menu,r -- see Display Properties dialog.
Then press Ctrl-Backtab and Alt-v -- Advanced settings dialog.
DPI settings is in there. Make sure it is normal size (96 DPI).

For another description (which unfortunately never refers to Properties):

<title>KB322674 - Setting the Display to Large Size Causes the EULA Screen to Appear Incorrectly</title>

HTH

Robert
---

Found it - it was normal (96). Don't understand it - a very few other
sites give me this problem but most are fine and if I can't see the whole
screen there's a scroll bar.

Robert Aldwinckle

tadpole said:
Found it - it was normal (96). Don't understand it - a very few other
sites give me this problem but most are fine and if I can't see the whole
screen there's a scroll bar.

Which portal are you using? (Post the URL that you get for this message.
Press Alt-L,Enter and then paste it into a reply.)

Also, are you using Fullscreen (e.g. press F11) or just a maximized
window? Are you trying to use any Explorer bars (such as Favorites
or History) at the same time?

Also in case there are some saved preferences associated with this site
you could try resizing the message pane. (E.g. drag its divider to the left.)

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of or resize the newsgroup tree is
to find your newsgroup in a different portal which either doesn't use one
or leaves it smaller.

For example, this one's tree may be narrower

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...6c8d96-2a0b-494e-be9d-292bca78c684&sloc=en-us

HTH

Robert
---

Thanks Robert. Sorry I've been off for a few days - connection problems!
I've tried F11 and all the usual things but that only seems to work downwards
and it's the side I used. However the link you posted is fine - I can see
everything, so I'll replace my original Favourites link with that. I've
pasted below my original URL as you suggested because I would still like to
know what's wrong as it does happen with a few other sites (not many).

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgr...-4462-85a8-f5680e779901&sloc=en-us&sloc=en-us