newsgroups in OUTLOOK

Stephen

I'd like to use OUTLOOK2007, my regular email client, insted of Windows Mail
(VISTA) to search and use newsgroups. The setupsequence is Tools, Customize,
Commands, Go, News . . . easy enough, but there's no "News" selection under
the Go command.

Any ideas . . . ? Thanks!

Stephen

Alias

Stephen said:
I'd like to use OUTLOOK2007, my regular email client, insted of Windows
Mail (VISTA) to search and use newsgroups. The setupsequence is Tools,
Customize, Commands, Go, News . . . easy enough, but there's no "News"
selection under the Go command.

Any ideas . . . ? Thanks!

Stephen

Yeah, go here: http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird It's better (and free)
than Windows Fail or OE back when Outlook used OE for newsgroups.

Alias

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.

You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Alias

Diane said:
To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control
Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook
Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next
time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click
the No button.

You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.

Last I checked, OE doesn't come with Vista and cannot be installed on
Vista either. Perhaps it can use Windows Mail, yes?

Alias, who prefers T-Bird to all of them.

VanguardLH

Alias said:
Yeah, go here: http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird It's better (and free)
than Windows Fail or OE back when Outlook used OE for newsgroups.

Alias

Yeah, right. Just what you want: a WORSE rules set for newsgroups. For
e-mail, Tbird has a very good rules set. For newsgroups, Tbird sucks
worse than 6-year dead OE.

"back when Outlook used OE for newsgroups". Outlook uses whatever is
configured as the default newsreader handler.

VanguardLH

Stephen said:
I'd like to use OUTLOOK2007, my regular email client, insted of Windows Mail
(VISTA) to search and use newsgroups. The setupsequence is Tools, Customize,
Commands, Go, News . . . easy enough, but there's no "News" selection under
the Go command.

Outlook never has and probably never will support NNTP (network news
transfer protocol) to do newsgroups. It always starts some other
program depending on which was configured as the default newsreader
(Internet Options -> Programs tab). Why would you spend the time
waiting for Outlook to load to only have it load some other program?

Why waste all the extra mouse clicks wandering through menus in Outlook?
Just put a shortcut to whatever newsreader you want to use in the
QuickLaunch toolbar (or another toolbar) in the Windows taskbar. One
click and you start the newsreader directly. No loading Outlook, no
wandering through menus.

You can get Newshound, an Outlook add-on, to add NNTP (network news
transfer protocol) to Outlook but it isn't free.

Alias

VanguardLH said:
Yeah, right. Just what you want: a WORSE rules set for newsgroups. For
e-mail, Tbird has a very good rules set. For newsgroups, Tbird sucks
worse than 6-year dead OE.

I take it you don't care for T-Bird? :) It serves my needs. To each his
or her own. Which newsreader do you recommend?
"back when Outlook used OE for newsgroups". Outlook uses whatever is
configured as the default newsreader handler.

You learn something new every day. The short time I experimented with
Outlook using OE for newsgroups, I had no other newsreader installed. It
was a long time ago.

Alias

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Correct. It brings up windows mail (even if live mail is installed and set
as default) - but windows mail is just OE with a different name and storage
system. :)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Gordon

VanguardLH said:
"back when Outlook used OE for newsgroups". Outlook uses whatever is
configured as the default newsreader handler.

EXCEPT in Vista. It doesn't matter what app you set as default News reader
in Vista, outlook will ALWAYS call Windows mail....

VanguardLH

Alias said:
I take it you don't care for T-Bird? :) It serves my needs. To each his
or her own. Which newsreader do you recommend?

No, I do like Tbird - but ONLY for e-mail (well, I did until I realized
there was no stop-clause for rules which means they all get OR'ed
together, something v3 is going to fix but which I'm not waiting around
for nor want to beta test while it is flaky). For newsgroups, what you
can do in Tbird for rules is extremely minimal. Outlook Express (and
WLM) aren't great, either (you'll notice I don't use them anymore except
for an interim period when rebuilding my host OS from scratch). I could
never get Tbird to do the same handling of Watched threads (to move to
the top of the message list for sorting) that I can in OE, and obviously
I mark a thread watched because I really do want to watch it. Tis a sad
state when dead OE can outperform newer Tbird (but just regarding
newsgroups). The two criteria I demand for a newsreader is a rules set
that is equal to or better than what OE provides and to have Watched
threads at the top of the message list. Tbird fails on both counts.
However, for e-mail, Tbird is very good and their rule set is adequate.

For e-mail, Tbird would've been my choice except for the lack of control
in flow for rule execution (i.e., no stop clause other than the implied
one *if* and only if a rule moves an e-mail to a different folder than
Inbox). That was a showstopper. I need whitelisting rules which bar
any further rules from exercising against already whitelisted mails. I
have rules that, when fired, already identify an unwanted e-mail so I
don't need to waste time exercising more rules on that bad mail. I need
better flow control for rules than is afforded in Tbird. If you don't
use rules then Tbird is a good e-mail client. For newsgroups, I got
disappointed with Tbird since I could do more in OE. Alas, newsgroup
support seems minimal in all these combo email/newsgroup clients.

I trialed many newsreader clients over a couple years. I'd get
disappointed in each and returned to OE. These were off and on trials
when I got tired of OE's shortcomings, especially in groups with lots of
nymshifting trolls, spam, and properly marking all posts in a thread as
watched when new ones got added. I've tried XPN, XanaNews,
SuperGravity, Xnews, and probably others that I don't recall right now.
I eventually settled on 40tude Dialog. I had decided against it in
prior trials but then discovered it could be modified with scripts
assigned to events and message actions, and I could even define custom
scripts for toolbar buttons. I wasn't interested in learning Object
Pascal but instead found a pile of pre-compiled scripts that would let
me modify Dialog to behave better. The folks in news.software.readers
also helped. If I weren't obstinate enough in my last trial to try out
the scripts, I probably would've decided against Dialog.

VanguardLH

Gordon said:
EXCEPT in Vista. It doesn't matter what app you set as default News reader
in Vista, outlook will ALWAYS call Windows mail....

Oh, the joy called Vista. Another reason not to "upgrade".

VanguardLH

Jan said:
NewsHound can be tried for a month freely.

http://www.shorelinesoftware.com/index.htm

Wow, a whole month-long solution followed by an uninstall.
<rolls eyes>

It didn't appear to me the OP was looking to throw money at a
more-than-temporary solution but I figured to mention it just to be
thorough. It's not the only add-on that adds NNTP support to Outlook
but the only one that I can remember.

Stephen

Ok then . . . much more than I wanted to know . . . thanks to all who took
the time to answer . . . guess I'll just leave things as they are.

Stephen