Newsgroups are now SEARCHABLE via Browser

plun

Hi Bill

Using NNTP now and something is corrupt with MS feed
for this newsgroup.

Messages can be seen within WebUI but not with NNTP.

--
plun

Bill Sanderson expressed precisely :

One of the virtues/features of the new interface is that it is not anonymous.
It is more difficult to impersonate someone, and, at the same time, your
email and identity is shielded, while retaining the ability to get mail
notification of activity on a thread.

Thus the signin. Some folks REALLY don't like Passport. There's still NNTP
for them, I guess.

Today is probably the first time I've spent any significant amount of time
using this interface--and I have to admit that it clearly has potential--I'll
be interested to see whether the features which are designed to make it
easier to find the "right" answer to a question really work, over time.

JRosenfeld said:
The only annoying thing is that I now have to sign in each time, aswith the
other news groups. Didn't have to do that before (I always used IE6 or other
IE based browser previously)

Bill Sanderson

I know--they will (usually) appear, but perhaps hours later. Researching
what the correct channel is for complaint.

plun

Hi

If you find out also tell them that "New questions" are popup windows.
Replies normal windows, so change "New questions" to normal windows,
IMHO (IE7 Beta 1, you probably don´t see my message about this)

Bill Sanderson

That's a different channel--I think I know who to talk to about that issue.
I haven't looked at these groups using that browser yet. I've stuck with
IE6 on my main machine because some chats that I value don't work in IE7
yet.

That is not the sort of thing that changes easily, though.

plun

Bill Sanderson used his keyboard to write :
That's a different channel--I think I know who to talk to about that issue. I
haven't looked at these groups using that browser yet. I've stuck with IE6
on my main machine because some chats that I value don't work in IE7 yet.

That is not the sort of thing that changes easily, though.

Hi, well test it with IE6 then, it´s the same popup window for a "New
Question" as I can see. ;)

And to use a popup window for this is totally crazy. IMHO again. ;)

Bill Sanderson

OK - I see what you are talking about now. That's so obvious that I'm sure
it is well known, and I'm sure they also know that it is undesirable--but
I'll mention it.

Bill Sanderson

Yeah--I saw it finally--definitely a popup.

--

plun said:
Hi Bill

"Made in MS"...........

Reply is a window but new posts are popup windows ;)
(With IE7 Beta 1)

And why ? Really strange programming.

plun

Hi

I´ve seen a lot of poupus in the past and I can
see them ;) and also follow IEs "infobar" ;)

But a lot of users have indeed problems with this infobar
so change this to a "normal window" please ;)

I have firefox 1.0.7 and It message area still doesn't come up (far right) +
wierd format.

Bill Sanderson

I'll take a look at it in Firefox sometime. When I first brought it up in
IE6, the message box also didn't come up. I reset all my options to
defaults and it fixed it, but I haven't spotted what setting is the problem.
I've asked the experts. You can work around by double-clicking the
conversation.

--

Jaz said:
I have firefox 1.0.7 and It message area still doesn't come up (far right)
+
wierd format.

plun

Hi Jaz

Use a NNTP reader such as OE instead, this webUI is so bloaty
that it´s a shame for the world greatest software company.

If this was a marketing platform for a product it would
be a disaster for this product.

Sign in/Sign out is a mess, looking for messages is a mess
Searching is working ! ;) No pinned important messages etc.
Everything is slow.

Just a big mess if you use the webUI.

--
plun

I have firefox 1.0.7 and It message area still doesn't come up (far right) +
wierd format.

Dave M

First we had the Good...
Then we got the Bad...
Now we're at the Uggly

I take it all back ;)

Bill Sanderson

One hope that I have about this change, is that it is a harbinger of other
changes to come--beta2, eventually.

I guess this is truism--beta2 will eventually be released, and this change
has happened before that--but I think there is some relationship between the
events.