Newsgroup Problem

Bill

I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on my desk top PC.
It has the XP operating system.

I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.

I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post replies or new
messages to Newsgroups. I get the following error message;

"Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'test', Account:
'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net',
Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
filter)', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number:
0x800CCCA9"

My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this problem in over
three weeks. They obviously are
not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was to change my
password!!!

I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no problem posting
to Newsgroups with the same
Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.

I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my Laptop to my desk
top but it will not copy over or
replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub directory of
Outlook.

I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I get a message
"This program is being used by another
program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I can delete the current
Outlook Express so I can copy in
the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?

This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month. Can anyone
provide a potential solution?

Bruce Hagen

This is usually caused by a damaged Outbox.

Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start>Run>Ctrl+V will put the location
in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the
location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WindowsXP, 2K & 3K, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder
Options>View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in
question {Outbox.dbx} and delete it. A new one will be created
automatically when you open OE.

General warnings:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually
become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly.
Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as
is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually
while working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File>Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status
Bar).
File>Folder>Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting
is completed.

In Tools>Options>Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

Charlie Tame

The words in the error "Rejected by Post Filter" might be a clue.

Main OE window
Tool>options>send tab
Is HTML selected for news messages... if so try plain text, maybe that's it?

Charlie

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Bill said:
[...]

0x800CCCA9 NNTP_POST_FAILED Unable to post to server

Is this problem occurring on the account you used to post this message?
It reads like a server that does not accept posts but only allows reading.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Carolyn H.

query - answer at bottom

Bill said:
[...]

===========
have you tried to use other news servers? I had a problem with my cogeco
server .. never resolved in that it wouldn't download. But msnnews works
great.. I also use aioe.cjb.net (you can post with that one)

Just a non technical suggestion

Carolyn

Steve Cochran

Try setting up a new Identity via File | Identities and add the newsserver
to that Identity.

Make sure under Tools | Accounts | News | Properties | Servers indicates
that you need to log on to the server. Make sure also that the information
matches the info on your laptop.

See if that works.

steve

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Carolyn H. said:
query - answer at bottom

0x800CCCA9 NNTP_POST_FAILED Unable to post to server

Is this problem occurring on the account you used to post this message?
It reads like a server that does not accept posts but only allows reading.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

===========
have you tried to use other news servers? I had a problem with my cogeco
server .. never resolved in that it wouldn't download. But msnnews works
great.. I also use aioe.cjb.net (you can post with that one)

Just a non technical suggestion

Carolyn

If you can post to all servers but that one I think it's probably the
server. However, it certainly won't hurt to try Steve's suggestion.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Bill

Frank Saunders said:
If you can post to all servers but that one I think it's probably the
server. However, it certainly won't hurt to try Steve's suggestion.

READ MY MESSAGE. I said I can not post, using my DESKTOP computer, replies
or new
messages to Newsgroups (any and all)

I posted the message to this Newsgroup using my LAPTOP.

Bill

Carolyn H. said:
query - answer at bottom

0x800CCCA9 NNTP_POST_FAILED Unable to post to server

Is this problem occurring on the account you used to post this message?
Yes.

It reads like a server that does not accept posts but only allows reading.

My account is bellsouth and I have been posting for over a year with no
proble.

Carolyn H.

Bill said:
READ MY MESSAGE. I said I can not post, using my DESKTOP computer,
replies or new
messages to Newsgroups (any and all)

I posted the message to this Newsgroup using my LAPTOP.

I was replying to Carolyn.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thanks Frank.. I agree it is a server problem but all my attempts to deal
with Cogeco on it have proven futile.. I am glad to have found an easy fix
for me with another server. That is completely due to the large amount of
help and assistance I received here.

Carolyn

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Thanks Frank.. I agree it is a server problem but all my attempts to deal
with Cogeco on it have proven futile.. I am glad to have found an easy fix
for me with another server. That is completely due to the large amount of
help and assistance I received here.

Carolyn

You're welcome.

--