News reader help

ewastudent

Windows Mail could not post your message. Subject 'hello?', Account:
'news.readfreenews.net', Server: 'news.readfreenews.net', Protocol: NNTP,
Server Response: '440 Posting Not Allowed.', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 440, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9

I have windows mail and can successfully post to msnews and opera and the
mozilla server, and read posts, but when i put in news.readfreenews.net,
nothing shows up for any group, its like nobody posts in, but when I tried
to post in to 24hoursupport.helpdesk, this message showed up telling me the
post failed. What is going on?

ewastudent said:
Windows Mail could not post your message. Subject 'hello?', Account:
'news.readfreenews.net', Server: 'news.readfreenews.net', Protocol: NNTP,
Server Response: '440 Posting Not Allowed.', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 440, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9

I have windows mail and can successfully post to msnews and opera and the
mozilla server, and read posts, but when i put in news.readfreenews.net,
nothing shows up for any group, its like nobody posts in, but when I tried
to post in to 24hoursupport.helpdesk, this message showed up telling me
the
post failed. What is going on?
Newsgroup alt.free.newsreaders may give you more information on that.
That's where I would look. Don't expect it to be accessible through the
Microsoft Communities server, though.

Some of the free news servers place restrictions on whether you're allowed
to post anything at all, or require extra steps before allowing you to post.

Robert Miles

ewastudent

Newsgroup alt.free.newsreaders may give you more information on that.
That's where I would look. Don't expect it to be accessible through the
Microsoft Communities server, though.

How would i get to it then, i havent ben set up for motzarella, dont plan
to, but what other servers are there?

Patrick Keenan

ewastudent said:
Windows Mail could not post your message. Subject 'hello?', Account:
'news.readfreenews.net', Server: 'news.readfreenews.net', Protocol: NNTP,
Server Response: '440 Posting Not Allowed.', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 440, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9

I have windows mail and can successfully post to msnews and opera and the
mozilla server, and read posts, but when i put in news.readfreenews.net,
nothing shows up for any group, its like nobody posts in, but when I tried
to post in to 24hoursupport.helpdesk, this message showed up telling me
the
post failed. What is going on?

Does the message "Posting not allowed" not mean anything to you?

You have apparently opened an account on a news server that allows only read
access, and does not allow posting. This is very common for free news
servers.

To fix this, get an account on a news server that *does* allow posting. You
may have to pay for this, usually not a lot.

HTH
-pk

Patrick Keenan

ewastudent said:
How would i get to it then, i havent ben set up for motzarella, dont plan
to, but what other servers are there?

There are many. Many that allow posting require payment, because it's not
free to run them.

Google "news servers" for a start.

HTH
-pk

ewastudent

--
ewastudent "superchris"
Patrick Keenan said:
Does the message "Posting not allowed" not mean anything to you?

It is read only, but there is nothing to read.

ewastudent said:
How would i get to it then, i havent ben set up for motzarella, dont plan
to, but what other servers are there?
I suspect that some of the cheap, but not free, servers are more reliable
than most of the free ones. I'm currently trying this one:

http://usenet-news.net/?ref=103974

It's likely to take a few more weeks to see if it's more reliable than the
Tera
News one, which has typically been working for a month or two, then
unreachable for a month or two, during the time I've had an account there.

A few more in this class:

http://news.datemas.de/

http://www.news.individual.net/

Both list their prices in a non-US currency, but probably have ways of
letting you pay the equivalent in US currency. Expect these cheap servers
to wait for your payment to go through before letting you post anything.
Also expect them to email you at least one extra step you need to
perform before they will allow you to post anything.

If you're willing to pay more, see this list:

http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/usenet-providers.html

Robert Miles

ewastudent said:
--
ewastudent "superchris"

It is read only, but there is nothing to read.
Typical for a news server that has just started over with a new build of
the software, but hasn't got far enough to collect any messages from
other servers. Read their web site to see if they've needed to do this,
or if they require some extra step before you can see messages in
more than just a few newsgroups. At least one such server lets
people who haven't performed this extra step see the newsgroups specific
to that server, alt.free.newsservers, and very few other newsgroups.
Looks like yours lets you see all the newsgroups already, but not the
messages in most of them, though.

Robert Miles

ewastudent

Typical for a news server that has just started over with a new build of
the software, but hasn't got far enough to collect any messages from
other servers. Read their web site to see if they've needed to do this,
or if they require some extra step before you can see messages in
more than just a few newsgroups. At least one such server lets
people who haven't performed this extra step see the newsgroups specific
to that server, alt.free.newsservers, and very few other newsgroups.
Looks like yours lets you see all the newsgroups already, but not the
messages in most of them, though.

Yeah, it is kinda wierd. Does that server cost $$?

Patrick Keenan

ewastudent said:
Yeah, it is kinda wierd. Does that server cost $$?

Many people pay between US$5 and US$10 per month for pretty comprehensive
Usenet access, with posting rights. How much you need to pay depends on
how much traffic you think you will generate. If you're planning on doing
binaries, you will use a lot.

HTH
-pk

zygote

[...]

A little late to the thread, but I'd second the recommendation for Individual.
As far as comparing newsgroup providers, I've also found the following site to
be helpful...

http://www.newsadmin.com

~Z