Newbie in Need of Help !!

Reaction score
Hello All

I have an issue with my desktop computer --
I all started last week when I was checking for viruses and junk... I got a hit on something that led me to the services.exe file in the win32 folder. I saw two unusual files there next to the services.exe file than had extension .wrm. So I deleted them thinking they were some kind of worm. I then clicked on the services.exe file and they reappeared. I then assumed I was in troublend and had actived something. The computer then shut down. I couldn't do a restore, so I did a recovery. Whiched seemed to work except the some VGA errors and the printer had some errors. I then tried to reinstall my printer using its disk and that shut me down completely. I tried several times to do a recovery again and it runs and seems to be orking but the computer will not boot. The message I get is: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

Unfortuately I do not have a Set up CD. I have the system with the built in partition to recover -- and that isnt fixing it. Anyway I am now out of ideas of what to do . Any help would surely be appreciated.
Thanks
Catherine

The computer is a XP home edition, HP Pavilion Pentium 4

Reaction score
Can you get to windows at all? if so have you tried ant viruses and spyware and all them?? and you might have a big problem :-X

Reaction score
No --I can't get to WINDOWS

When the computer boots the problems occurs as soon as it looks for the config/system file
The only action I can do is F10 to get to recovey mode but that doesn't help. I have only tried the non-destructive recovery because I didn't want to lose all my pictures and movies and school work. Any ideas?
Catherine

Reaction score
You have deleted file/files of which you knew nothing or what they were for, NEVER delete anything from a PC unless you are absolutely sure what it is specifically used for; especially if you have no back up disk, I fear you have a BIG problem.

I would say try a restore.
  • Start>programs>accessories>system tools>restore>
  • Choose a time before you deleted the file/files
If that does not work then you have a BIG problem.:(

Reaction score
If the other ideas dont work......

Can you boot into safe mode?

Tap F8 when you machine is booting up

Then i would suggest to back up all your work onto another hard drive or partition other than where the Windows system files are

Ideally you need the XP home disk; If you dont have one you can pick them up for around £40/50 quid these days

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can't Go to Restore

I am not able to restore because there is no windows loading I can only do recovery by hitting f10 but that isn't helping on the non-destructive.

Catherine

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
I'll try that --- how do you save to a seperate partition or can I just pull everything off onto CD -roms. Where do I get a XP CD ?

Reaction score
I couldn't get f8 to work but I did get to Bios Utility. The Boot Diagnostic is disabled and soshould I enable it? and the the reset configuration data said no --so should I change it to yes? In a holding pattern --unitl advice is given. I don't want to screw it up worse.
Thanks to all who are replying. Lot of Love

Reaction score
Smirkelpus said:
I couldn't get f8 to work but I did get to Bios Utility. The Boot Diagnostic is disabled and soshould I enable it? and the the reset configuration data said no --so should I change it to yes? In a holding pattern --unitl advice is given. I don't want to screw it up worse.
Thanks to all who are replying. Lot of Love
NO

Reaction score
Smirkelpus said:
About 4 years new.. Just out of warranty in October 2004

If you cant get in windows you cant back up your work?

I see the only alternative as being to purchase an XP disk and install the OS.

Reaction score
Smirkelpus said:
OK -- can you explain, please?

You could try to persuade your supplier to issue a recovery disk, but I doubt that they will.

Reaction score
Ok no problems, pls post your exact system specs

Mostly the name and Make of your Motherboard

;) We should get it sorted

P.S. As itsme says ebuyer is a good place to get a copy of home

Reaction score
This is one of those situations where I would like to have the PC in front of me????

Reaction score
System Specs

BaseLine9 said:
Ok no problems, pls post your exact system specs

Mostly the name and Make of your Motherboard

;) We should get it sorted

P.S. As itsme says ebuyer is a good place to get a copy of home

I am looking currently at the bios setup

It says CPU type -- Intel Pentium 4
1800Mhz
256 Ram
Bios Version 3.02 11/22/01

Is that the correct info? I wish I had one of you all here looking to it too. I a class.

Catherine

Reaction score
If you feel confident enough?

• Turn the PC OFF remove the power cable and press the start button this will drain any power from the PC.
  • Remove the side panels.
  • Have a look at the motherboard and see if you can identify the manufacturer.
  • Then take the number of the motherboard, there will be some kind of identification.

Ask a Question