new XP won't print from my DOS application

G

I installed my older DOS accounting program on my new XP Home Edition computer. I had no problems on my Windows 98 machine.
Now my HP DeskJet 722C on LPT1 works fine from any Windows programs, but won't print from my accounting program (Vigilant Business Software
When I try to print, it acts like it is sending to the printer, and the printer icon flashes in the lower right of the monitor, but then disappears and nothing happens
Vigilant support is no help on this problem, saying it is a Microsoft issue and they don't want to get involved and possibly lead me wrong.

G

Just a follow up
Vigilant says that in a Windows environment, the printer must be captured to a printer port if you are on a network. I do have this computer networked thru a router to another home computer. Vigilant goes on to says to add this line to AUTOEXEC.BAT if you are on a networ
NET USE LPTx: \\COMPUTER NAME\PRINTER NAM
I tried to find AUTOEXEC.BAT but couldn't. I found AUTOEXEC.NT, opened it with WordPad and added that line a
the last line of the file like this
NET USE LPT1: \\MIKE\HP DESKJET 722
Saved it, rebooted computer and nothing changed. Still won't print from my MS-DOS application
But since the printer is hooked directly to the new XP computer LPT1 port, I don't think that I need to have this line in AUTOEXEC anyway, according to the documentation provided by my MS-DOS software supplier.

G

Thanks for the article reference. Problem is though, my situation is choice #1 which the article says should be no problem, and yet I have a problem
As a follow up, I have right clicked the desktop icon and in properties I have tried all of the various compatability modes for Win 95, 98, NT etc and still no luck. Also I tried the compatability wizard, but that just seemed to try the various compatability modes for me
Printing in Windows 98 was never a problem on the old computer

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

I hope your Shared Printer name doesn't have spaces in it as per your
example as that certainly won't work. If you're working in DOS, 8
characters or less and NO SPACES!

Cari
www.coribright.com

G

My printer isn't a shared printer, or doesn't need to be. I just want it to work with this computer. I only have it networked to my old computer to transfer the files, which I have done
I only was trying that 'NET USE LPT1' line in desperation, trying anything to make this thing print from my DOS program
I did make the changes you suggested, shortening the computer name to MIKE and the printer name to HP722C, but no help
I went to the HP website and a wizard on their site found that I have the current driver installed for XP. But digging around in their info, I find a thing saying that if I see under my printer's properties that Bidirectional printing is greyed out and not checkable, that I should remove and reinstall the printer. I have done that and the Bidirectional printing line is still greyed out. Not sure if that is my problem, but I looked on my old Windows 98 machine and the printer properties for this same printer, which worked on the 98 machine, and Bidirectional support under Spool settings is selected.

G

Trying some more things - partial success. Made the printer respond, but the printout isn't useable. Maybe this is a clue...
I went into my printer properties, Advanced Tab, select Print Processor button. The setting is on RAW
I looked at my Windows 98 machine and under Spool Settings there are two choices: RAW and EMF. EMF is selected
So on my XP machine I tried all of the EMF choices and the three RAW choices. No difference. No printer response
But when I tried the last one - TEXT, my printer responds! From my DOS program, it prints, but the printing isn't formatted right and their appear to be some control characters or something at the start of some of the lines of print
So what does this mean
Also, still don't know how to enable bidirectional support....

D

Davide Guolo

Jeff,
My printer isn't a shared printer, or doesn't need to be. I just want it
to work with this computer. I only have it networked to my old computer to
transfer the files, which I have done.
I only was trying that 'NET USE LPT1' line in desperation, trying anything
to make this thing print from my DOS program.

You could use Printfil to solve your problem. It has to be configured a
little, but if you want to write me, I can help you.
But digging around in their info, I find a thing saying that if I see
under my printer's properties that Bidirectional printing is greyed out and
not checkable, that I should remove and reinstall the printer.

I don't think this is a problem for your DOS software.

Regards,
Davide Guolo

G

Thanks for your hel
After two days and late nights, I just went to Staples and bought a new HP deskjet 5650, installed it and it worked first time. I am so happy that I am almost giddy...............................

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

I think you'll be much happier with the better resolution, speed and all
around performance! And you've now got a year's guarantee with it too!

At some point in time, we really do have to dump these parallel port
printers... I know it's hard to let them go but we have to realize they've
had good lives and served us well.

It's time! Now just don't use up all that new ink all at once.

Cari
www.coribright.com

Ask a Question