New Vista laptop hard drive does not stop spinning

John

Brand new Sony Laptop with 2 gigs of RAM and Solo Core U1500 1.33 GHZ CPU.
I can't seem to resolve the performance issue related to the hard drive
constantly spinning. I went to the Resource Monitor and see that the Disk
section is showing 100% highest Active time consistantly and it rarely drops
below this. I have tried MSCONFIG and performing a Selective startup and
not had any change in the issue. The only changes I have made were to add
TrendMicro 2007, Office 2007 and Quicken 2007. I have disabled any of
indexing too.

Any suggestions?

TIA

John

Carey Frisch [MVP]

In the Run box type in SERVICES.MSC and click OK. Scroll down to
the SUPERFETCH service, right-click on it and select Properties, then
under Startup type select DISABLED and then click apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Brand new Sony Laptop with 2 gigs of RAM and Solo Core U1500 1.33 GHZ CPU.
I can't seem to resolve the performance issue related to the hard drive
constantly spinning. I went to the Resource Monitor and see that the Disk
section is showing 100% highest Active time consistantly and it rarely drops
below this. I have tried MSCONFIG and performing a Selective startup and
not had any change in the issue. The only changes I have made were to add
TrendMicro 2007, Office 2007 and Quicken 2007. I have disabled any of
indexing too.

Any suggestions?

TIA

John

I am having similiar trouble: I just installed Vista Home Basic on my laptop
and the hard drive light on my laptop is constantly lit. Is this the same
problem?

System Specs:

- Intel P4 3.0GHz
- 1GB RAM
- 64MB video memory

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello John,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I'd like to thanks our MVP Carey Frisch for his great
information sharing. For more related information, please refer to:

Windows PC Accelerators: Performance Technology for Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/accelerator.mspx

Windows Administration: Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/03/VistaKernel/defau
lt.aspx?loc=en

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao