New speeding fines inforce starting today

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I like the idea of relating the fines to a person's weekly income. A £50 fine always seemed ludicrous for a millionaire who could drive around with impunity.

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So just what's wrong with doing 80mph down Lewisham High Street?

There's a stretch of road near me, I'd guess about 3 to 5 miles long, that is a town bypass and is a 6-lane dual carriageway A-road. It has no speed cameras or traps and clear ahead vision. I once managed 108mph in my Merc down that road.

I haven't had a car now for 5 years but I do hire one occasionally. If I do get another vehicle I think I may name it Bluebird.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
More info: http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

I think its just another way to try and make a bit more money. Personally I think we should adopt the German way of doing things.

Some light reading. :)

"Motorway speed limits

Our 70 mph motorway speed limit is frequently exceeded and the 85th percentile speed in clear conditions is in excess of 85 mph. Since the theoretical prosecution threshold is 79 mph (=70mph + 10% + 2 mph) it is quite possible that the safest group of drivers will be prosecuted. This alone is sound justification to increase the motorway speed limit.

It is not as if the 70 mph motorway speed limit was set by any sort of science. As we understand it it was an arbitrary decision taken at a meeting at the then Ministry of Transport in 1965. In 1965 a typical new car was a Ford Anglia with an absolute top speed of about 85 mph and much inferior brakes.

Since 1965 cars have improved out of all recognition, yet the Motorway speed limit remains unchanged. It is certainly time for a review, and probably time for a change."

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/speedlimits.html

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I think the new system does make a lot of sense, even if it is a money making exercise. However I agree that the 70 mph limit is no longer appropriate. I'd like to see stronger penalties for tail-gaters too; it's agressive, selfish, and dangerous.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ouch, that could get pretty steep when it comes to motorways. I don't have a huge problem with proportional fines necessarily, but I'd be hugely annoyed if I got fined 50% of a weeks wage for doing 71mph on the motorway. If the fines started at the supposed 10% + 1mph limit, that's a bit different (perhaps they'll do that anyway).

Doing 45 mph in a 30 zone is quite different though...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm a bad boy. This is for doing 39mph in a 30mph zone. On a motor scooter.

speedingfine001_800.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm a bad boy. This is for doing 39mph in a 30mph zone. On a motor scooter.

View attachment 10950

£8 was a load of loot way back then. I got a £10 fine for not having me "L" plates on me scooter, a fine I would not have received but for the fact that the politzia checked me documents after a car had turned in front of me causing me to crash and break me leg (it were a nasty crash and I was lucky not to sustain more serious injury or indeed death) The arsewipe who jumped out of his car crying out "oh me car, me car" was given a £10 fine for careless driving. This was in 1974.

Always baffled me that they allowed cars etc to run without a speed limiter set at 75mph. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question