New PC!

Reaction score
First post and wanted to thank all for their old posts which helped me choose my first PC!

CASE: Coolermaster "Black Widow"
CPU: Athlon XP2700+
HSF: Akasa Silver Mountain 2Q
PSU: Antec True Power 430W
MB: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
HD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 (SATA) 120GB
GPU: ASUS V9520 Magic/T GeForce FX5200 (temp)
RAM: 2* TwinMOS 256MB DDR PC3200
DVD: Samsung 16*48*DVD
MONITOR: None (using old 15" - temp)

Was my first build and all seemed to go ok (apart from putting too much thermal grease on, and mounting HSF backwards - removed it, cleaned it, did it again and CPU temperature came down 17c!!!)

Want to upgrade my IDE ribbons to sleak ones and also want to fit a cathode tube.

My biggest question is this:

I want a controller (black with nice twiddly bits) to support all my case fans (4) and also give me CPU temp...Is there a unit that will do all of this?

Cheers
:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Indigo!

Welcome to PC Review! I'm glad some of the old posts helped you decide on a PC, thats what they are there for :bow:

Sounds like a very nice system you got yourself there! How long did it take you to build it in total?

As for the controller you are after, I think this (top product - CMD-BB6) would do some of what you are after :)

Reaction score
A few hours as it was my first build ever...probably do it in about 30 mins if i did it again...

Looking forward to checking my new SETI stats now...used to take me about 10 hours to do 1 unit...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A few hours isn't bad for your first build! Congrats for taking the plunge - you are now a proud member of the BYO club (build your own ;)).

Which monitor are you planning on using in the long run?

Reaction score
I want a black TFT 17" when I have the pennies...

Very hard to make a decision on that one...as I want ok quality, but not keen on paying too much...(ie 300 quid or less)

As long as it will play movies / games well enough, im not that fussed...more interested in the 'look' and saving space...

Left my PC on all night...temp of CPU has stuck at about 40c...is this ok? Any tips on how to reduce it?

:confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Congrats on your first build Indigo, well done :)

40C is fine, in fact imo it's very good, especially if you're running SETI.

for cooler - more fans; water cooling; Thermaltake SLK800 or 900; more powerful fan on CPU heatsink.

Although, to be honest, I'd be happy with 40C.

Reaction score
Originally posted by floppybootstomp
...for cooler...Thermaltake SLK800 or 900

(Minor point: I'm pretty sure the SLK900 will not fit onto the A7N8X mobo...but the 800 definitely does)

Nice job Indigo...I agree with Floppy and the others, 40C is the right sort of temperature with your current chip and HSF.

Ask a Question