New PC Kit

Reaction score
Hi Becky, this is not a criticism but an observation of the new kit that comes out, for people like me who are on a limited budget it would be nice to have a few reviews of kit which does not cost hundreds of ££ as I am sure that some of us who are on a limited budget would appreciate that. Yes it is nice to see the new expensive kit coming out but also stuff that is less than say £100 so that both ends of the market is satisfied.

Reaction score
Have a look at the barebones section at Novatech as they start from £89.99.
Sadly these days most people want the shinny ultra fast super duper all conquering pc!
Not many want the one on a small budget, so may be shops & reviewers are missing out??

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Providing links to budget PC equipment and finding reviews of that equipment are two different things.

There are countless suppliers of ready-made budget PC's out there but most will be compromised in some way, usually in having no-name power supplies and memory. If just wanting to purchase components then the usual suspects: OCUK; EBuyer; Aria; CCL; Novatech et al (NOT Scan - they're awful, imo).

If I were building budget I'd probably go AMD and if not gaming, then utilise motherboard sound chip and CPU graphics.

But reviews? It does bear thinking about.

Reaction score
PC sellers want to sell the big pc's the fast expensive ones, a few mags used to do budget and average reviews as well as the top of the range, but these days £599 can buy you a good pc, but the makers only it seems want to sell £999+ pc's.

That said mesh do budget pc's!!:p

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hi Becky, this is not a criticism but an observation of the new kit that comes out, for people like me who are on a limited budget it would be nice to have a few reviews of kit which does not cost hundreds of ££ as I am sure that some of us who are on a limited budget would appreciate that. Yes it is nice to see the new expensive kit coming out but also stuff that is less than say £100 so that both ends of the market is satisfied.

I don't take it as a criticism at all - feedback is very welcome! I post news based on emails that I get advertising new reviews / articles - in future I'll try and make sure I post reviews that cover a good mix of price ranges :)

Out of curiosity, which items do you most like to see reviews for? Components? Peripherals? Or more unusual bits of tech?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I wen't budget ... AMD ... got a lot for me pennies, I think ... needed't have bothered, the 'old' Intel i5 is/was only a shade under-par, it just needs/needed another graphics upgrade, and/or a better i5 maybe.

If it's ... new-n-shiny, red, has lights, cost more than a weeks wage ... then you'll see a 'review' about it I'm sure. If, on the other hand its not, then don't expect to see it reviewed in the traditional way.

Is why we, tinkerers, on forums such as PCR can help out a bit with budget builds. Even then, as in 'gaming', you may find some components a bit OTT. :)

My "Truck Driving" game puts more strain on my system than "Guild Wars 2". :lol:

:user:

Reaction score
Barebone systems with novatech start at £89 for CPU/MB/RAM/CASE/PSU.
So use onboard graphics and sound & you only need a DVD driver & O/S, use linux and it's free!

Reaction score
Yes I went over to Linux Mint Cinnamon 64bit as lost patience with Microsoft and the expense for all the peripherals you need to buy including Office. My last purchase was a new keyboard mouse and mouse mat and very pleased I am with it £20.
41l6uVgTvxL._AA160_.jpg

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, which items do you most like to see reviews for? Components? Peripherals? Or more unusual bits of tech

All of them really as I always looking to upgrade my kit as long as I can afford them, as you can see in my last post I got a new low cost gaming keyboard and mouse mat & mouse from NovaTech at a good price. It is illuminated with the choice of 3 colours Red, Purple and Blue and the illumination of the mouse:thumb::thumb::thumb: is quite cool as well.

Reaction score
Have a look at the barebones section at Novatech as they start from £89.99.
Sadly these days most people want the shinny ultra fast super duper all conquering pc!
Not many want the one on a small budget, so may be shops & reviewers are missing out??

Yes I built my wifes PC with Novatech bits and case and added my old video card to the mother board, but she only does Facebook, emails and some basic games

Ask a Question