Windows Vista New OS , XP , Home ,Pro or Media or Vista ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Is it worth paying the extra for XP Pro or the Media Edition .
I've got a tv card but its only analogue which is ok as I can't get digital here , should arrive in a couple of years though . I'm tempted by the Media Edition .
Pro might be good though if I get a bit more tech savvy , might be able to earn a few bucks sorting simple stuff out for folk .

Any thoughts folks . :bow:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
hard too say... i have Pro, and it is more convient in some ways than others...
i really cant give u any specifics, sorry

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP Pro will do anything the others will not ... except Vista that is.

There are limitations in XP Home & Media Edition ... Go with XP Pro. ;)

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Q. If I've got an athalon Thunderbird 1400 pc(xp home) and me new athalon 64 3400 pc (xp pro) and a BT 5861 router box . Can I connect all three and practice using the xp pro remote thingy and could I do the same thing with a patch cable . :user: :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Q. If I've got an athalon Thunderbird 1400 pc(xp home) and me new athalon 64 3400 pc (xp pro) and a BT 5861 router box . Can I connect all three and practice using the xp pro remote thingy and could I do the same thing with a patch cable . :user: :D
I dunno, can you?

Home has a nasty habit of not wanting to talk to Pro ... network bits are missing in Home, but using a router should, I say, should, sort that ... plug it all together, turn on the Router, then the PCs and see if they 'see' one another. ;)

If that don't work ... don't call me, call MS. :D

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I thought the idea of xp was that you could remote connect to other windows users and sort out their probs ???????????

This is from the microsoft site ,

Get Help from Someone You Trust No Matter Where They Are

Remote Assistance lets you allow someone else running Windows XP to remotely access and control your computer to demonstrate a process or help solve a problem.

:wall:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I thought the idea of xp was that you could ...
... make a computer work coherently. :D

Naw ... we use Linux for that. ;)

Remote Assistance lets you allow someone else running Windows XP to remotely access and control your computer to demonstrate a process or help solve a problem.
Fine, carry on ... I will not allow Windows Messenger on my Windows box. :p

Abarbarian,
Your original question was ... "Is it worth paying the extra for XP Pro or the Media Edition" ... the answer is, buy XP Pro.

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:

Fine, carry on ... I will not allow Windows Messenger on my Windows box. :p

user.gif

I don't understand what your telling me here ???? (see above)

I've got a copy of XP Pro coming in the post . £75 inc postage for the oem version which I thought was a reasonable price .

Read an article/forum post on here that stated that if you bought the full retail version of XP you could run it on one machine and if the pc was no longer used scraped /decommisioned/beyond repair then you could install that copy of XP onto a fresh pc , doing this as many times as you liked , and you would still be able to obtain updates etc from microsoft and have the new pc recognised as running a legal copy of XP .Obviously you would only have the os installed and running on one pc at any time .

As to LINUX . I want to play with me new pc and enjoy a few games and do some video editing and burning before I statr to fry the old gray cell with even more tech info .

You seen the tv prog with the puppets and the catch phrase " Thunderbirds are go ". Well here in rural pc world we are muppets when it comes to techi stuff and our ancient equipment lead us to create our own catch phrase "Thunderbirds are slow "

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Last edited:

Ask a Question