Gpu : Nvidia 8800 GTS 640
Sound card : Audigy 2 // Headset // 5.1 speakers
Mouse : believe it or not i use a logitec laptop one
Keyboard : Logitec Media
Monitor : Philips 17 in TFT
HD : 2 x 160 Sata's
PSU : 600 watt

CPU, G card, Mobo, PSU, Cooler, 1 HD ( witch I boot from ) and Ram are new

Ok folks hello, and i hope you can help me.
problem :

When i boot from a cold start it shuts off............for a second or two, then boots up as normal, just like that. Funny thing is though that every day or so I get a " You have recovered from a serious......blah blah blah message". The boot sequence though is allways the same, strange.

Most days though I do crash to a blue screen with device driver cause aswell :/ All drivers as far as I know are up to date. I did D/load the new drivers for the g card when i got it.
BUT i had a simular prob with my older computer...........thought it was my web cam so i pulled that out........still there though :/

I have though with that said in my device manager these highlighted in Yellow :

PC device
SM bus controller
BOTH with a "?" and "!" on them

Folks this is really getting me down and i hate the moment when i turn my computer on for the first time every day :(

Thanks for any help you can give

Wolfhound

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the rapid response there guys. SM bus controller is now fixed, thanks very much for that but the unknown PCI device is still there.
The Ide cable is new m8 so I don't know why that would cause a problem. :/
I'm away for a few days so I can't say about the crashing issues but I will get back to you guys when i can.

Again thank you very much

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Unknown PCI devices usually turn out to be an internal Modem ... whatever it is, you simply have not installed the drivers.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Well guys it seems that my computer is still crashing but strangely enough its when I play Arma (Armed Assault) so it must be game related :/ I'm thinking.

Ask a Question