NEW MB doesn't work

dan allex

I just purchased an ASUS A7V8X-MX MB to upgrade my system. The current
system was working fine. I used the AMD XP1900 CPU and fan but had to
buy new memory since the old 256m didn't fit (needed 184 pin). When I
powered up the system, the power supplyfan and CPU fan run for a few
seconds and then stop. The switch on the case doesn't do anything.
I've checked all cables and finally disconected every perifieral except
for the speaker and case wires, and the same thing happens. Power
supply seems fine, 420 watt. Any help would be appreciated.

dan allex

I don't even have the monitor plugged in. I just want to see the board
start up. It's as though the MB is shutting down the power supply.

Ian

Hi, I had the same problem.Board powered down after a few seconds.Turned out
to be the CPU was faulty.But make sure the fan is sat correctly on the chip,
good contact, or else the power will switch off.Then take the board out of
the case and just have the cpu and fan installed but nothing else.Plug in
the power supply and the switch cable and the pc speaker.Switch it on.If the
cpu is ok it should beep saying there is no memory on -board.If it doesn`t
beep then either the CPU is dead or there is a motherboard problem.

dan allex

Thanks. One thing is I just took the fan off CPU to remove from mother
board and put it back on after moving CPU to new MB. Did I have to do
something prior to reusing?

Ron

Dan, your message is ambiguous, but if you actually separated the heat sink
from the CPU, then you need to clean both surfaces and [properly] re-apply
thermal interface material before re-mating the heat sink to the surface of
the chip.

Ron

Daniel Allex

Ron said:
Dan, your message is ambiguous, but if you actually separated the heat sink
from the CPU, then you need to clean both surfaces and [properly] re-apply
thermal interface material before re-mating the heat sink to the surface of
the chip.

Ron

Where do I get thermal material and how would I remove old material
without compromising CPU?

Ron

Keep in mind that there are two types of t.i.m.: there's the film type,
which is a little piece of stuff that looks like a postage stamp. This
usually has a peel-off backing. Then there's the paste -- or grease, as
some call it -- that you apply from a tiny tube just like toothpaste. A
litle research on the 'net will soon show you the way. (I like the goop,
myself) Anyway, have a look at these helpful video's.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html

Please post a follow-up.
Ron

Paul

"Ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Dan, your message is ambiguous, but if you actually separated the heat sink
from the CPU, then you need to clean both surfaces and [properly] re-apply
thermal interface material before re-mating the heat sink to the surface of
the chip.

Ron

Where do I get thermal material and how would I remove old material
without compromising CPU?

There are some instructions here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

You should be very gentle with the processor die (the square of silicon
sitting on top of the substrate). I use alcohol, and alcohol is used
for cleaning PCBs, so is generally safe for everything on the board.
For the processor, you don't really want to get the thermal compounds
on the bridges or other components next to the die - moisten a clean
cloth with alcohol and try not to spread the contaminants around.

With the heatsink, you can douse it with chemicals until it is
clean, as the heatsink isn't conducting electricity. Just try not
to gouge it or raise any burrs that can scratch the processor die
when the heatsink is put back.

I like to put a tiny grain of thermal compound down first, apply
the heatsink, and see how much it spreads. Using much less than
you normally would, this will allow you to "calibrate" how much is
needed. Wipe off the test application, then adjust the amount for
the real installation. The intent is to just barely fill any air
gaps between the processor and the heatsink, as air is an insulator.
A thin film is all that is needed - it shouldn't gush out, as
it might touch the bridges or other components.

You aren't building an "Oreo cookie" here :)

Thermal compound is more important with processors having a bare
die, as you have 50W of heat escaping through a small square of
stuff. The thermal path is critical to keeping the temperature
of the die within limits. Otherwise, the motherboard overtemperature
features may shut down the motherboard.

HTH,
Paul