New Cruncher needs help

Reaction score
Have set everthing up and software installed followed link to join PC Review Crew. Task Execution Progress is moving from 0% now at 9% is that good? Think i set it up an Bonic? Task run time clocking moving upwards?

Complete Muppet when sorting out my own PC, but fine when doing it as a living, very strange:blush:

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
feckit said:
Have set everthing up and software installed followed link to join PC Review Crew. Task Execution Progress is moving from 0% now at 9% is that good? Think i set it up an Bonic? Task run time clocking moving upwards?

Complete Muppet when sorting out my own PC, but fine when doing it as a living, very strange:blush:
If it moved ... it's working ... now you leave it, and go do somit else.

:D

Reaction score
Argh Muckshifter, your my hero:p

Thanks for that, will leave it to do good:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
feckit said:
Argh Muckshifter, your my hero:p

Thanks for that, will leave it to do good:D
ha, I should be so lucky ... :D

You'll do as we ALL have ... just have to have another look to see if it's "working" ;) you'll learn just to leave it and get on with what you were doing.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Cheers:thumb: off to part-take in light (beer) refreshments after all this hard workin:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
OH, and you is on the team sheet already ... I won't give you the "wooden spoon" just yet though. :D

... and don't worry about the points, you'll get some score or other eventually :thumb:

:p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:

As Mucks says it looks like its working, but just so we can identify what your using for the future, can you tell me:

In the right side of your taskbar, is the tray icon a bluey green V shaped icon, or is it a dark circle with a yellow B?

You can also click on the tray icon - the WCG Agent says 'World Community Grid' and 'powered by United Devices' at the bottom, and Boinc says 'Boinc Manager' in the top left corner.....

Its important to know which, as there are a couple of tweaks to settings you may need to make to get the best performance :thumb:

Reaction score
Bluey green V shaped icon up ok, No Bonic Manager in the top left corner, just says Primary Task Information:confused: . Sorry if being a bit of a Muppet, had a bad day studying, brain seems to have sized up, wd40 or beer needed!:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
No problem feckit - we've all been there!!;)

Right, you have installed the WCG UD Agent -there is one adjustment that you can make to increase your PC benchmarking.

Go to the WCG site and log in : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/viewProfiles.do

Click on Device Manager>Device Profiles>Default and change 'Hard drive space to allocate?' to the maximum (10GB)

Then press save.

The next time your PC uploads a result it will note the change and you will get a higher score for your PC as shown in the bottom right box (Device Information) on that 'Primary Task Information' screen you've noticed.
Higher benchmark score=higher points per job;)

Are you connected to the net 24/7? - if not, then when your current job finishes it won't upload the result and get a new job until you next go on.

:)

Edit: I'm away now for the weekend, but Mucks and others here will help if needed...

Reaction score
crunching

Right done all that, thanks.:thumb: PC not on 24/7, but on for 12 hours a day at the moment. Probably be on until 2300 (11:00pm) tonight though. Oh did as muckshifter suggested and went to chill out and leave machine alone:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great news feckit :D Really pleased to have you onboard :thumb:

You'll be racking up those points in no time!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Great to have you onboard. :thumb:

I'll sort you a sig out tomorrow and put it in HERE with the rest. :)

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:
Right done all that, thanks.:thumb: PC not on 24/7, but on for 12 hours a day at the moment. Probably be on until 2300 (11:00pm) tonight though. Oh did as muckshifter suggested and went to chill out and leave machine alone:D
One last thing - can you let me know your PC specs (OS/CPU/RAM/HD) please?

I want to see whether you may gain from going on to the Boinc client instead;)

Cheers, Ady :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
my specs

Sorry, did not see this post until prompted by you. Details as follow:
O/S: Windows XP Home, CPU:AMD Athlon 3800 Veince, RAM: 1GB (2x512), HDD 250GB (180 Free)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok, you will definately benefit from using Boinc rather than the UD client.

Boinc is a little more tricky to set up - but if you want to try it, then I and others will help you make the change.

Have a look at the thread HERE and have a read of some of the linked tutorials, then let me know if you want to try it.

Ady :)

Reaction score
Going bionic, er i mean Boinc

Hi Adywebb, thanks for the info, sorry, but i'm going to have to put it on hold until Thursday of this week. Got a lot of revision to do and in the middle of setting up a network. Will carry on crunching:thumb: , but just really busy, if i could work 24/7 i would.

Cheers, Feckit.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
No problem mate - if you want to try it later on, just come back to this thread :thumb:

Ady :)

Ask a Question