New Avira?

Buffalo

Anyone get it working on their Win2000ProSP4 system?
Buffala
PS: It is the 2012 version.

Buffalo

Hot-Text said:
"Buffalo" wrote in message

it's not Supported for win98 sp1 or Win2000 Pro sp4 System!
Thanks.
I just found the system requirements for the new version.
Too bad, now I will have to look for another free AV program.
I wonder how long they will keep the previous version's definition updates
going?
"4. Updated System Requirements

Windows XP SP3 (32 bit),

Windows XP SP2 (64 bit)

Windows Vista SP1 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Support for Windows 2000 has been cancelled.

RAM:

Min. 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)

Min. 1024 MB RAM (Windows Vista, Windows 7)

HDD:

Min. 150 MB (additional temporary and quarantine space needed)"

Buffalo

9

98 Guy

Anyone get it (Avira) working on their Win2000ProSP4 system?
it's not Supported for win98 sp1 or Win2000 Pro sp4 System!
Too bad, now I will have to look for another free AV program.

Generally speaking, Windows 9x/ME systems don't really need to be
running AV software, and haven't needed to for about the past 3 to 5
years. This is because most malware doesn't run or install itself
properly on the 9X/ME line of operating systems (for the past few
years, malware expects to find itself on NT-based OS's like XP, Vista,
etc).

If you are running win-98/me and you're so paranoid that you need to run
an AV program, Norton Antivirus 2002 works well and can still be updated
with a current scan engine and virus definitions.

Norton Antivirus 2002 is part of Norton SystemWorks 2002, which can be
downloaded from these links:

http://www.fileden. com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/NSW02-A.ZIP
http://www.fileden. com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/NSW02-B.ZIP
http://www.fileden. com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/NSW02-C.ZIP
http://www.fileden. com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/NSW02-D.ZIP

The password to unzip each of them is "a". Each file is close to 50 mb
in size.

When unzipped, you'll get

NSW02-1.piz
NSW02-2.piz
NSW02-3.piz
NSW02-4.piz

Rename them each to .zip. They are not password protected.

Create a directory (name doesn't matter) and move files 1, 2 and 3 into
that directory and unzip them into that directory. There should be no
conflicts or warnings to over-write any existing files.

For file 4, move it to the \SUPPORT\IE5 directory and unzip it's
contents into that directory.

When you're done all that, you should have an exact copy of the
directory structure of the NSW 2002 CD. There should be 10 files and 13
folders in the root directory. 590 files, 41 folders, 207 mb.

To install NSW-2002, just run setup.exe in the root.

Notes:

1) Before installing, you should go to add/remove programs in control
panel and check to see if you have any Symantec or Norton products
already there, including LiveUpdate, LiveReg, Norton AntiVirus, Norton
Utilities, or Norton SystemWorks. You will probably have to remove some
or most of them, and then re-boot your computer, for NSW2002 to install
itself correctly. You should also make sure your PC's clock/calendar is
set to the correct date.

If your system has ever had NAV installed on it before, you might have
to do a complete search for all old remnants and remove them. From your
registry too.

See here for NAV removal tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

2) Once you complete step 1, perform a file-find on your system and look
for a file called "catalog.livesubscribe" or just "catalog.*". If you
find that file (it will be in a norton or symantec directory) then it
must be deleted before you install this software. It's best to check
your system for this file even if you don't think that NAV is or has
ever been installed on your system. The presence of that file will
affect your ability to perform virus-definition updates once you install
NAV 2002.

3) After installing NSW2002, let it restart your system. There are
several settings in NAV that I turn off - like automatically check for
updates, and warn if virus def's are old. If it gives you the option of
registering the software - don't. It's not necessary for it to
function.

4) Your win-98 system will probably need to have it's "Root
Certificates" updated, and update your Windows Scripting Host to 5.6

I *believe* that this file will update the root certificates of a win-98
system:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe

Windows Scripting host (Windows9x-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe) can be
downloaded from here:

http://www.macropool.com/en/download/scripting/Windows9x-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe

5) If you click on "Check for Updates" you will probably be told that
there is an update to Symantec Redirector, which can be downloaded but
may not install. In any case, it's my experience that both auto and
manual updating (liveupdate button) doesn't work, and hasn't worked
since maybe 2007. But that's ok, because you can download all program
updates and virus definitions from here (Symantec Intelligent Updater):

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static/symcdefsi32.exe

That file always contains the most recent virus definition update. So
download and run it as often as you want (even once a day if you're
paranoid).

When trying to run that update, if you get the following error message:

"This package is not signed with a valid Symantec signature.
This Intelligent Updater package cannot continue installing."

Then you need to update your root certificates.

5) BTW, NAV 2002 runs fine on Win-2K and XP (sp1, 2 and 3).

Norton SystemWorks 2002 CD includes:

- Norton CleanSweep 2002
- Norton AntiVirus 2002
- Norton Utilities 2002
- Roxio GoBack 3.0
- FastSafe (Fast & Safe Cleanup)
- Symantec Process Viewer
- Norton Rescue Disk version 15.0
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.50.4134.600

Enjoy

Buffalo

98 said:
[...]

I actually have a NSW2002 cd that I purchased. :)
Buffalo