New address????

Bill Sanderson

The groups have changed.

You can see the list of groups in the left pane, right--they are all
there--but the interface is different--should be better.

If you have perspective on how this new interface works (or does not) for
your specific needs, I would urge you to make it known.

Bill Sanderson

Plun is right--looks like they've broken something worse than it was before.
I would recommend everyone seeing such messages to use the CONTACTUS link at
the very bottom of the page to give feedback. They need to know they've
messed up. I'm not sure I have a working contact on this issue at the
moment.

Bill Sanderson

I was hoping that since they broke the link in Help, they'd have fixed the
page you normally use.

No such luck--it's all broken now.

Bill Sanderson

There's a synch process between the HTML and the NNTP sides. At the best of
times, there's about a 15 minute time for things to synch, I think. At
other times, I've seen lags of hours, and sometimes there's a set of
messages that don't synch until the newsserver admins kick something, after
we complain loudly enough.

plun

Hi Bill

Well, this thread is "painful" ;)

Total mismatch.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: wmiprvse.exe
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:34:02 -0700

Nevertheless it must be working.

"Maybe we go back to passing paper notes... Regards, Dave"

Bill Sanderson

I've got some tin cans in the recycling bin in the kitchen, but I'm not sure
I can find enough string to reach from here to Sweden. Let's see--this form
of communication involves a star configuration, so how much string do we
need to reach you, Engel, Andre, to say nothing of d@annyboy, and, of course
the actual customers who need help?

It's better--but not yet perfect. The email I got in response to a different
thread contained two links both of which reach the 404 page.

I'm not sure whether it is better to ask for further fixes, or leave it
alone : )

Vanguard \(NPI\)

plun said:
Hi Vanguard

Nope, but all users with questions must use it, no options !

So users cannot ask questions by using the NNTP server? How does the server
differentiate between posts with questions and those that are declaratives?

Dare I? I dare! Here goes ...

Considering the naming schemes used for the enterprise-level version and
OneCare, might Microsoft rename MSAS to something that encompasses all of
what it provides (at that time after the beta releases are through)?

Hmm, wonder if my post with a question will show up. What header does the
webnews-for-dummies interface add to a post to differentiate it as a
question versus a comment, and visa versa? Are you saying that questions
posted using the webnews interface do not show up on the NNTP server? Hmm,
then to get the community involved would mean disguising your questions as
comments.

I looked at posts that were marked as a question (with the "?" icon) and
those marked as a comment (no special icon). No difference in the headers.
My guess is that Microsoft keeps track of the Message-ID and simply adds the
icon for any posts that were issued through the webnews interface (so any
Message-IDs not in its table came from "outside" that interface). There is
no difference between a "question" posted using the webnews interface versus
using an NNTP client to submit a post.

I then looked at what the webnews interface marked as a question (with a "?"
icon) and what it marked as a reply (with a checkmark icon). The only
difference was the References header. Well, that's how you thread replies
and is a header defined by RFC, not a special X-header added solely for use
by Microsoft. So there is no difference within the post to differentiate it
between a question, comment, or whatever category you want to use to
classify posts.

Bill Sanderson

I think your post will come through fine--I don't believe the NNTP side is
being deprecated here. I also don't believe they are likely to rename the
product. Microsoft Antispyware, Microsoft Antivirus, Windows Mail--simple,
descriptive names. I like them, I think.

Bill Sanderson

No, you can't. Let's give them some time. I don't think this is
necessarily Machiavellian.
(see--spelling checkers ARE useful!)

Vanguard \(NPI\)

plun said:
Vanguard, you missed the key challenge with this.

I thought you meant that, while using an NNTP client, that I would be unable
to ask "questions" that would get identified as such by Microsoft's webnews
interface.
Go to this URL, newsgroups main entrance.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

Can you find any information about how to use NNTP ? Yes or No ?

Yes. When I looked today, the section titled "Viewing these newsgroups with
an NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol) newsreader" was on the very page
that you listed. It describes how to setup your NNTP client to connect to
their NNTP server. Was that section on that page missing when you last
looked?

plun

Vanguard (NPI) pretended :
Yes. When I looked today, the section titled "Viewing these newsgroups with
an NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol) newsreader" was on the very page
that you listed. It describes how to setup your NNTP client to connect to
their NNTP server. Was that section on that page missing when you last
looked?

Hi Vanguard

Yes, MS fixed this yesterday.

You find questions from Bill S about that yesterday.

Subject: Is it fixed? Web page for antispyware groups
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:30:20 -0400

And now it´s OK. ;) MS must do some basic "SAT" tests for new sites !