Never Dial Connection Won't Stay

Barb

XP Pro Sp1, all windows updates. I keep telling dial connections in Internet
Explorer to never dial and it keeps going back to Dial Whenever no
connection is present. I use the two connections rarely so have removed them
till I can resolve it.

Barb

Barb

BTW, have checked the mskb and I don't use offline files, not in a domain
no, group policies and generally connect via cable.
Barb

XPUSER

Barb said:
XP Pro Sp1, all windows updates. I keep telling dial connections in Internet
Explorer to never dial and it keeps going back to Dial Whenever no
connection is present. I use the two connections rarely so have removed them
till I can resolve it.

Barb
==============
Are you using ICS?
==============

Wallace Fu [MSFT]

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your post!

As I understand, the problem is that even you set the dial-up option to
'Never Dial a connection', the System still tries to dial. If I'm off base,
please do let me know.

If you go back to IE settings, is the option 'Never Dial a connection'
still selected or it has revert to some other option such as 'Always dial
¡­'?

In addition, I'd like to give the following action plan:

I. New Administrator account

Note: It needs to be tested in Normal Mode.

a. Go to Control Panel and double click User Account.

b. Create a new user and set the user type to Administrator.

c. Log off and the logon on as the Administrator account newly created.

d. Does the problem still occur after logging into new account?

II. Clean Boot Startup

a. Click Start, click Run, type Msconfig in the Open box, and click OK.

b. Switch to the Services tab, and then select Hide All Microsoft Services.

c. Switch back to the General tab, select Selective Startup, and then
Uncheck the marks before ALL the sub-items.

d. Click OKs, and click Restart to restart the computer.

e. Does the problem still occur when you are under the Clean Boot Startup
mode?

I know the whole process is exhausted and time-consuming; however, it is
the most practical way to narrow down the problem in a more accurate
method. I appreciate your time and effort.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Wallace Fu, MCSE NT4/2K

Microsoft Partner Support Professional