Never advise friends!!

Reaction score
I'm helping one of my mum's friends on buying a new PC and sorting out an ISP.
After explaining the benefits of Broadband over 56k Dial Up can you guess which one my Mums friend has gone for!!!

A. Broadband
B. 56k Dial Up
C. Cable

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.
1st out -of-the hat wins 1 months supply of Valium.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
None of them , she went for sattelite .

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I always get that!! Spend weeks finding out the best pc for £500 etc etc, then my mates will go "yeah, i just bought a packard bell from pc world", it's so frustrating!!

Reaction score
It's hard, isn't it - to let someone go with their stupid decisions..after really trying hard to give them the benefit of your experience etc

Reaction score
All sorted out, got laptop & printer and friend is contacting prefered ISP to go on to Pay-As-You-Go 56k dial up.
Cant wait until we have to download the AV updates!!:eek:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
PAYG dialup? :eek: Oh well, there's no telling some people!

I bet that works out more expensive than a cheap broadband package (several for a tenner or less) unless they just use it for a couple of hours a week (which would be hard, as windows updates are huge!).

At least you tried :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Whooaaahh 56k dialup pay as you go..:lol: People will never learn..

I was using 56k dialup back in 97 seems a ten year difference has done nothing for the newbies...Who the hell advised her to go with the 56k payg

Reaction score
Talked it through this afternoon on the way back from buying the laptop & printer.
They realise that 56k is going to be slow but it's pay as you go so they can see if they use it much.
Seems a good friend has advised them that 56K is all they will need.

If they do & they think it's slow then they can always upgrade to BB.
But the total time the expect to be on line at the moment is 1 hour a week, so dial up is cheaper.
I get the feeling they may get addicted to the internet though!
nod.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah we all said that! when we got connected to the net...I'll only want a couple of hours a week, then we go and spend half our lives on here..:D

Reaction score
Thats being tighter than a ducks Ar## and thats water tight:D

56 K download Ummmm..... I bet it will cost more in the long run :nod: I hope they remember to disconnect....

Reaction score
Might be advisaeble to educate them to the 'diallers' category of malware/spyware.
I know someone who had £80 added to their phone bill from this!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I remember dial up very well, was on unlimited per month..then had to reformat PC, little did i know my AOL connection reverted to its default....PAYG ...Phone bill was £420 for that quarter, they said they emailed me but :mad: . BT or AOL didnt care about the situation so i dumped them both

Ask a Question