networking

Reaction score
Hi,
i have mixed speed 100 / 1000 network worked properly with all unmanged netgear switches. now we have exapnded our network with manged netgear GB swithces. my core network is with netgear L2 manged GB switch the next HOP switch is netgear L2 manged 10/100 switch both are connected with OFC gibic port, here the issue starts data not transfer between 10/100 switch to L2 GB switch wheres the same is working in Trendnet switch in both OFC connectivity. all the switches are not configured anything, just brand new. can anybody help out on how to troublehsoot on this.

Reg
SBN

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
uhmwut?

here the issue starts data not transfer between 10/100 switch to L2 GB switch

I think i gather that you are not getting connectivity between two new switches. Is that correct?

Typically, a switch will work or not work. Even a managed switch will perform its basic function without programming. Routers usually require the setup to function properly. Check to see that you didn't make the switch to switch connection using the trunk lines (if available). The trunk lines are dedicated configurable ports and may not transfer information without configuration. Typically, they are the first few or the last few, depending on how many ports you have and the manufacturer.

Aside from that, can you post the model number of the switches? That will help us help you.

Reaction score
Hi,

tnx, both the switches are netgear, core switch is GS724TS and the next switch is FSM726 both the switches hving trunk port, i tried straight and cross cable in both trunk ports. i cant reach btwn both switches. pls help me out.

reg
sbn

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/trunk

Trunk ports need to be programmed in the switch. If you have not done this, then no connection will work. If all you are attempting to do is gain switch to switch communication links, then use a regular port.

My switches do not run trunk programming and function perfectly with the small network I have using the normal ports. I would try this first to ensure that your switch is communicating. From there, branch out into if you need to use the trunk ports or not.

Reaction score
Hi,
Tnx, i already tried with normal ports btwn FSM726 and GS724TS both are not communicating wheres both the switches are communicating if i connect with a unmanged GB or 10/100 different switches. is thr any firmware need to upgrade?

Reg
sbn

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
both the switches are communicating if i connect with a unmanged GB or 10/100 different switches.

A work around could be, connect the managed to an unmanaged GB switch and see how communications behave. Just a theory, perhaps the two managed are working against each other somehow that causes the failure. How do you know that communications are not working when these two switches are connected? Ping tests? What happens if you try to ping computers on either side of the switches? One PC to managed SW to managed SW to another PC. Try running Wireshark and see what happens to the data. Are they just dropping packets when connected? Something doesn't seem right.

Ask a Question