Networking


D

dan.dman94

We have a desktop computer and a laptop computer. Both are Dell and
are running Windows XP Professional. The Dlink DI-524 router is
connected by ethernet to the desktop and provides wireless internet to
the laptop. This is great, but we also need the computers to be able
to share files, and to share the printer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

We have a desktop computer and a laptop computer. Both are Dell and
are running Windows XP Professional. The Dlink DI-524 router is
connected by ethernet to the desktop and provides wireless internet to
the laptop. This is great, but we also need the computers to be able
to share files, and to share the printer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

Run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer. If the Wizard asks you
to select a connection method, tell it that the computer connects to
the Internet through a residential gateway (router). Also, tell it to
enable File and Printer Sharing.

Configure any firewall program (Norton, McAfee, PC-cillin, ZoneAlarm,
etc) to allow access by other computers on the local area network.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
 
B

Barry Guidry

I had the same problem. When running Network Setup Wizard on both computers
do you set up the 'workgroup' name the same and the 'computer' name
different? And, you would select a different option on the laptop than the
host computer for the connection type right? Where would you tell the
firewall to allow other computers access, using Windows XP Firewall?
 
J

Jim

Barry Guidry said:
I had the same problem. When running Network Setup Wizard on both
computers do you set up the 'workgroup' name the same and the 'computer'
name different? And, you would select a different option on the laptop
than the host computer for the connection type right? Where would you tell
the firewall to allow other computers access, using Windows XP Firewall?
"Workgroup name" should be the same on all computers.
"Computer name" is the name of a particular computer.
Connection type is the same on all computers because they access the
internet through a common router.
You will need to run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard on those computers
which connect to the router via a wireless connection. "Wireless" is just a
method of connecting to the router.
Network Setup Wizard handles the XP firewall. The other firewalls have a
settings panel that accomplish the same task.
Jim
 
S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"Jim" said:
"Workgroup name" should be the same on all computers.
"Computer name" is the name of a particular computer.
Connection type is the same on all computers because they access the
internet through a common router.
You will need to run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard on those computers
which connect to the router via a wireless connection. "Wireless" is just a
method of connecting to the router.
Network Setup Wizard handles the XP firewall. The other firewalls have a
settings panel that accomplish the same task.

Good advice about the workgroup and computer names. I don't find the
Wireless Network Setup Wizard to be useful, and you don't have to run
it. You can enter the wireless settings manually the first time you
connect to a wireless network.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
 
R

Rich Olson

I still can't network. I've run all of the wizards, made all of the network
setup disks, matched workgroup names, etc. For something that's supposed to
be so easy in Windows XP, setting up a simple home network is a total
mystery.
I have a Windows XP Home PC hooked to a (wireless) router through an
ethernet connection. I also have a Windows MCE laptop hooked to the router
through a wireless connection.
The router is hooked to the internet through a cable modem. I can access the
internet fine from both computers.
But when I try to access the files on one computer from the other, I can't
get access.

Can anyone lay out a step-by-step process that takes everything into
account? Some steps might be so obvious to an expert that they don't even
mention them, but the steps turn out to be critical for a novice. Please
include everything.

Thanks
RCLO
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Poprivet

Rich said:
I still can't network. I've run all of the wizards, made all of the
network setup disks, matched workgroup names, etc. For something
that's supposed to be so easy in Windows XP, setting up a simple home
network is a total mystery.
I have a Windows XP Home PC hooked to a (wireless) router through an
ethernet connection. I also have a Windows MCE laptop hooked to the
router through a wireless connection.
The router is hooked to the internet through a cable modem. I can
access the internet fine from both computers.
But when I try to access the files on one computer from the other, I
can't get access.

Can anyone lay out a step-by-step process that takes everything into
account? Some steps might be so obvious to an expert that they don't
even mention them, but the steps turn out to be critical for a
novice. Please include everything.

Thanks
RCLO

Have you looked at Help and Support and searched for network or mayby
LAN ? Lots of good info there. The start in with Google. You'll get
there. Wireless has some special "gotchas" that get a lot of people.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top