Networking noob...is it a router I need?

Reaction score
Hey! I know very little about networks. My flatmates computer is the one that connects to the internet, and mine connects to his. I can only get online if his computer is on. This is inconvenient, and his computer is unstable (no idea why!) so was thinking about getting a.... router? Do routers have USB ports? The modem we have is USB and connects to the other computer. Do I need a modem/ router all in one? Will this mess with my internet connection? Modems arent ISP specific are they?

Thanks a lot

Kenny :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, if the modem is USB you probably can't use a router directly (that I know of). You'll need a modem/router combo that connects to the internet directly and then your two computer both plug in over a network to get access. You can get an ADSL one for about forty quid now :)

Reaction score
Ooohh...something else I`d like to know.... the router doesnt see master and slave computers does it? One computer doesnt need to be on for the other to connect?

:)

Kenny

Reaction score
Kenny said:
Ooohh...something else I`d like to know.... the router doesnt see master and slave computers does it? One computer doesnt need to be on for the other to connect?

:)

Kenny

either one on will work;)

Ask a Question