networking: limit the sharing ability

j-p-c

I have a network and wish to share certain folders.

all the pc's can access all the folders that are shared.

I have many folders that are shared
but wish for pc1 and pc2 to see folderA
pc2 and pc3 to see folderB

is this possible?

thanks

Shenan Stanley

j-p-c said:
I have a network and wish to share certain folders.

all the pc's can access all the folders that are shared.

I have many folders that are shared
but wish for pc1 and pc2 to see folderA
pc2 and pc3 to see folderB

is this possible?

Well...
Yes and no.

If PC1,2&3 all have the same users with the same passwords and they all map
the same network shares, then they all see the same thing.
If PC1,2&3 all have the same users with the same passwords and PC1 and PC2
map FolderA and PC2 and PC3 map FolderB (But PC3 does not map FolderA and
PC1 does not map FolderB) then you have what you want - but only in what is
visible - a smart user could overcome this and map the unseen drive
themselves.

Essentially - File and Folder sharing is based off users, not computers.
(At least in the situation you have..)

very possible... one way to do this is through group policy. go to start run
and enter gpedit.

Shenan Stanley

wsingletary wrote in message
very possible... one way to do this is through group policy. go to
start run and enter gpedit.

j-p-c said:
no such program ?

They meant "gpedit.msc".
However, what good that will do in terms of your question, I am waiting and
wondering what I will see. heh
(I am unsure whether you can do that if you have Windows XP Home Edition
either..)

j-p-c

err...

still no such program

j-p-c said:
I have a network and wish to share certain folders.

all the pc's can access all the folders that are shared.

I have many folders that are shared
but wish for pc1 and pc2 to see folderA
pc2 and pc3 to see folderB

is this possible?

wsingletary wrote in message
very possible... one way to do this is through group policy. go to
start run and enter gpedit.

j-p-c said:
no such program ?

Shenan said:
They meant "gpedit.msc".
However, what good that will do in terms of your question, I am
waiting and wondering what I will see. heh
(I am unsure whether you can do that if you have Windows XP Home
Edition either..)

j-p-c said:
err...

still no such program

So.. Let me infer/ask again..
XP Home or XP Professional?

Also - I don't know what "wsingletary" was going to have you do after that -
I gave my comments elsewhere. I am only following this part of the thread
now because I am insterested if "wsingletary" knows something I don't -
always learning.

j-p-c

xp home, this might explain why I do not have this command.

something we both have learnt today, Windows XP Home definitely does not
have the command 'gpedit.msc' without the single quotes !!

thanks anyway

Rich Pasco

Running WinXP Pro, when I invoke Start/Run gpedit, Windows cannot find
'gpedit'.

Please advise.

- Rich