Network problem: Failed to query TCP/IP Settings of the connection

G

I just upgraded my Win2k PRO to WIn XP Pro, it installed quite perfectly, but my tcp/ip network doesn't work at all :

The configuration "appears" to be working perfectly. I have two devices, one for my LAN and the other one to connect to a USB cable modem. Both worked perfectly in win 2k. They have no aparent conflicts or misconfigurations now in XP.. BUT they don't work!

I tried eliminating and reinstalling both devices with no results
I tried searching through the registry to eliminate corrupted or repeated registry setting and installed everything again with no results
I tried reseting TCP/IP using netsh int ip reset with no result
I tried with an utility called winsockfix with no result
I tried removing TCP/IP from the registry and installing it again with no results (following a how-to somewhere else)
I tried reinstalling the operating system with no results :

ipconfig shows nothing, no network interfaces configured.. according to it
I can ping localhost, but I can't ping any other IP, even in the same machine, if I configure it with a static address
When I click on repair option I get the following message: Failed to query TCP/IP Settings of the connection
It has no firewall configured
The network wizard appears to work but does nothing
It has no network services disabled
Both network interfaces appear to be operational and enabled... :

It seems that the configuration is there, but part of the operating system can't get to it, can't read it and can't use it
I had a VMWare demo installed in win2k, it can be probably the cause of the problem, but there are no remaining registry settings of that program now. I uninstalled and removed registry keys

Formatting is no option for me, at least for the moment, because I need to finish some urgent work

Thanks in advance
Jua

G

No, I don't have PGP, but I continued uninstalling 3rd party software and it worked :

I don't have any idea of what was wrong. But yes, it was some sort of conflicting software installed problem :

thank you!

Ask a Question