Network path not found?

Nick

Hi,

My home LAN consists of a Windows 2000 and an XP computer connected
through a Linksys router/switch. The two computers can see each other
in My Network Places and the XP machine can browse the 2000 machine
and access its shares. The problem is, the 2000 machine can't browse
the XP machine; if I click on the XP machine's name in My Network
Places, I get a "Network path not found" error. Pinging the XP
machine doesn't work either (it times out) but the IP address
corresponding to the XP machine's Netbios name is correctly resolved
by the Ping command so it's not a name resolution problem.

The 2000 machine is a Broadcast node and the XP machine is a Hybrid
node (it's a laptop and I use a WINS server at work, so I set it to
Hybrid instead of Broadcast, but this should still work OK because a
Hybrid node reverts to broadcasts if a WINS server is not found).

Why isn't this working?

Thanks,
-Nick

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Nick said:
[...]

Probably because some firewall software intercepts your pings.
And if it's not a firewall then you need to look at your subnet
mask and default gateway.

Hans-Georg Michna

[...]

Nick,

I think Pegasus ist most likely right. Just in case you need
more information, please have a look at
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

fred

[...]

It may be the case that the win2k machine cannot see the XP unless
they are in the same workgroup or domain. Also, when you are pinging,
try the ipaddress instead of the machine name. Type ipconfig on the xp
machine command line to find out what it is. If the win2k machine can
successfully ping that ipaddress, then do a search for computers (it's
an option under search for files and folders), and search for the
computer name of the xp machine's ip address. Then if it finds the
machine, it shouldn't give that error.

Clark Satter [MSFT]

If you are still seeing this issue, please do an ipconfig /all at a command prompt and reply with the output.

Thanks

Regards,
Clark Satter
MCSA MCSE A+
Microsoft Networking Support

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

fred said:
(e-mail address removed) (Nick) wrote in message

It may be the case that the win2k machine cannot see the XP unless
they are in the same workgroup or domain.
<snip>

Pinging other machines is not in the least affected by domain or
workgroup settings.

daytripper

[...]

Because you have a firewall running on the XP machine?

/daytripper