Windows XP Network Controller

Reaction score
I get a message on boot that network controller needs to be installed.I have been trying to setup a network between a 98se computer upstairs and this XP Home hooked together by cable,but haven't had any luck yet. I am new to this,so not sure if the controller has anything to do with my setting up the network.Have followed all the setup info for setup. Thanks Keith
PS: Am able to get online with the upstairs computer.

Reaction score
To try and make things a little clearer,when I had networked two 98se machines, everything worked fine.When I was given this machine with XP Home on it and tried to set up,no go. In device mgr there is a question mark next to others\network controllers.I tried to update drivers, but had no luck.I went into the Compaq site but could not find anything regarding net\cont.Would any of that be on the two restore disks I have,although I did run them when I reinstalled XP after I got the machine.My crossover cable goes from my Linksys router next to my cable modem to upstairs and plugs into my 2nd computer. Thanks Keith

Ask a Question